Weird stuff.. silver cuff? glass button? 1918 merc

U

umrgolf

Had a couple hours to fool around today.. very odd finds today.. is that a silver cuff? came out looking silverish but :dontknow: the 2 piece button has what appears to be glass, you can see right through it.. what is the big yellowish looking pen ??? also got a 1918 merc thats kinda shot :laughing7: how about the lead seal? any ideas would be appreciated.. Hope most of you are still getting to swing :hello: HH Jeff

Attachments

• a7.jpg
    a7.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 688
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 679
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 668
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 689
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 670
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 669
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 676
Upvote 0

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
The yellowish looking thing is a lead pencil. I found one in an attic once it was among some books that dated back into the 1800's I was a kid and lost the lead pen it worked but you know how kids loose stuff.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

cdltpx said:
The yellowish looking thing is a lead pencil. I found one in an attic once it was among some books that dated back into the 1800's I was a kid and lost the lead pen it worked but you know how kids loose stuff.

thanks for the id cdl... Jeff

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

TejasDigger said:
Nice finds! Man, how did you get the date off the Merc?

Lol, suprisingly the date is pretty clear... the coin isnt really worn too bad, just discolored like the seated dime I got last weekend.. Thanks ..Jeff

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice silver cuff link and lead seal. :icon_thumright:

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright:
im glad you got out.... (*hahahahaha..... wait you go mding everyday..... *)
and found some cool stuff

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
The letters on the seal refer to a company probably a railroad or transpostion company or something. That bottom button looks really old. Is it one piece, cast with a drilled shank?

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

K*E*L*L*Y said:
:icon_thumright:
im glad you got out.... (*hahahahaha..... wait you go mding everyday..... *)
and found some cool stuff

thanks kel.. I don't go everyday, sometimes it rains ;)

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

vayank54 said:
The letters on the seal refer to a company probably a railroad or transpostion company or something. That bottom button looks really old. Is it one piece, cast with a drilled shank?

yes it is vayank, it's very odd looking.. It's onepiece with the glass set in the top. There have been several 1700's finds from this yard(coins and buttons) just wasn't sure if this was one of them.. It almost looks backwards from a regular twopiece.. Like the ring where the 2 pieces separate is on the front instead of the back ??

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
It looks really early from the pics. I'm thinking early 1700's maybe late 1600's. Not sure about the glass though. Someone from England might know as a lot of our early stuff came from over there. I've found a few items that old at colonial period house sites so you never know.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Thanks vayank.. Like I said, gotten quite a few 1700s coins there silver flower cuff that's posted on my best finds cufflink thread.. I'd like to know how old it is :help:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds bud. I like the button with the english looking cross on it quite a bit. Nice silver cufflink too. :wink:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

{Sentinel} said:
Nice finds bud. I like the button with the english looking cross on it quite a bit. Nice silver cufflink too. :wink:

Thanks Josh, I'll have to show it to you.. ive never seen one like it. Im assuming its glass since you can see through it. Dont think they knew how to make plastic in the 18th century :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread