DFX 1st outing at local beach...

usmcscorpio

Oct 7, 2003
Delaware
;) Found a silver Mercury and Eisenhower Dime, and a really heavy Silver Coast Guard ring! Also about $1.50 in clads, and 2 nice old shark teeth! An elderly woman came up to me just as I was beginning and informed me that a bunch of peeps with detectors were there the last couple of days cleaning up after a big erosion storm! (They sure didn't leave much for me!) I normally find more clads and stuff....but hey...anyday that you find silver is a good day. I use the beach/jewelry program with Tone ID on...the DFX was AWESOME on depth and target ID, as well as trash rejection (this beach is absolutely LITTERED with nails and iron (Onslow Beach, N.C.) Thanks for looking, and Good Hunting to all!

Attachments

• day1.jpg
    day1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 415
Upvote 0

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used my dfx in Ocean Sands this year. Man oh man, I wish I was there now. It sounds like those storms made for some good detecting.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll find more.

xlthunter

Nov 27, 2005
Western, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT E-Series
Great finds!! I really like the coast gaurd ring!! What is the token to the right?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? xlthunter

lasttoknow (Tim)

Dec 5, 2005
Spanaway Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac And Whites Quantum Pro
pretty cool finds to say the least. You got out. I had to work today. Went in early and was going to try and squeak in aan hour or so but this damn rain really sucks. Light rain is okay but not these downpours we've been getting.... HH

OP
OP
usmcscorpio

usmcscorpio

Oct 7, 2003
Delaware
:) Thanks for all your great encouragement and responses to my post! I think me and my Son-In-Law (xlthunter) have a favorite new web site and "club" to go to everyday (here at Treasurenet!) You folks are the greatest treasure that we've found yet, or will find. Take care all!
P.S.-the token looking thing is actually a Russian coin with the denomination of 50 in one side, and "Republic of Georgia 1993 on the other side. How it made it to Onslow Beach? Onslow Beach is actually located on Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune, NC....I can only surmise that maybe a Marine's visit, or Spouse from Russia misplaced/lost the coin at some point or another? Cya!

ECU04

Greenie
Sep 5, 2005
USMCSCORPIO

I was one of those on that beach last week. There are still lots of things to find. There are a few guys that are detecting Onslow every day but there's always more to find. Try at low tide and go out a little further. Try setting your preamp gain up and your AC and DC sensitivity up as far as you can without the DFX getting too unstable. That will help with the depth. Also remember, dig all "constant" tones even if they are low ID #s. The small rings I found out there registered quite low. Good Luck.

Also, the silver coins and older type rings (like the one you found) seem to be closer to the washed away dunes so try that area also.

John (USAF)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really great finds scorpio!

Thanks for sharing! Welcome to the forum!

Nana ;)

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like running my DFX in the 15 Khzs only mode for jewlery hunting. I find lots of very small gold earrings at 8 and 10 inches deep that all have a VDI under 10. Use the setting that John was talking about. That is the first few steps to getting the most out of that DFX. Oh Ya listen for the very light soft tones.

Good luck

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting finds. those dimes look real chewed up

OP
OP
usmcscorpio

usmcscorpio

Oct 7, 2003
Delaware
You'd be chewed up too after being tossed around out in the Atlantic Ocean in salt and sand for 50 to 75+ years! :o
TY for checking out my post!

OP
OP
usmcscorpio

usmcscorpio

Oct 7, 2003
Delaware
ECU04 said:
USMCSCORPIO

I was one of those on that beach last week.? There are still lots of things to find.? There are a few guys that are detecting Onslow every day but there's always more to find.? Try at low tide and go out a little further. Try setting your preamp gain up and your AC and DC sensitivity up as far as you can without the DFX getting too unstable. That will help with the depth. Also remember, dig all "constant" tones even if they are low ID #s.? The small rings I found out there registered quite low. Good Luck.?

Also, the silver coins and older type rings (like the one you found) seem to be closer to the washed away dunes so try that area also.

John (USAF)

Heya ECU04! (John) Thanks for the response and the advice/encouragement! I checked out your beach finds post and pics, and you REALLY did well! Great job! (I REALLY like the solid silver Marine ring in your pic!) Contact me if you'd like next time your in town here in NC, and we'll get together and hunt Onslow Beach, and a few other places on the base that have produced for mein the past. I found a really sweet 1834 Liberty Bust dime on Camp Lejeune a few years ago (only 2 in down sitting underneath a huge tree right on top of a large root (I put a HORRIBLE Scratch on the back of it by digging to hastily :'(...I think if it weren't for the root holding it at that depth, it would have probably sank to beyond detection depth...as you know, the soil here near the ocean is very "loamy" (mix of light sand, and very liittle compact dirt to support many weighted coins.) I've actually detected since 1991 with the Spectrum and Xlt (3 years on USMC Recruiting up in Mass/Eastern New England...and I've gotta tell ya...I sure do miss the sort of finds "common" up and around ENE! Very common to find large cents, old hard times tokens, as well as Barber silver, and older! Whoo-Hoo! Take care, and TTYL! George (usmcscorpio)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
usmcscorpio said:
You folks are the greatest treasure that we've found yet, or will find.
I would have to agree with that 100%. It's nice to be able to share your finds with others, and see what others are finding. I don't think detecting would be anywhere near the fun without Tnet...

Great digs, WTG!!!
Welcome to the forum, Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread