CELLAR HOLE HUNT*CIVIL WAR UNION EAGLE SWORD BUCKLE

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sniffy picked me up at 7am and we headed up to a couple holes in his neck of the woods.was digging big iron pieces.my fourth target read half dollar at 4 inches.i dug a square nail and was saying it's gonna be one of them iron days :dontknow: then a flat piece of rusty iron came out of the hole.scanned the hole again and figuring there was still more iron in the hole i was digging carelessly when this buckle popped out :thumbsup: .i nicked it with my shovel :'( still more iron was in the hole and a brass piece too.so much stuff in one hole and was not expecting this find that's for sure.sniffy got skunked and i felt horrible that he didn't find any keepers. :(
my only other decent find was the flat button.no coins,no coppers but would really like to know if this is a union civil war eagle belt plate? any idea on the value would be appreciated too.
thanks all and have a great weekend!
dave

Attachments

• DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 001 [].jpg
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 001 [].jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 7,661
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 007 [].jpg
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 007 [].jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 7,606
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 004 [].jpg
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 004 [].jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 7,612
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 009 [].jpg
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 009 [].jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 7,554
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 003 [].jpg
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 003 [].jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 7,536
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 010 [].jpg
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 010 [].jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 7,633
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 016 [].jpg
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 016 [].jpg
    47 KB · Views: 7,408
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 019 [].jpg
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 019 [].jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 7,459
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 018 [].jpg
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 018 [].jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 7,511
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 011 [].jpg
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 011 [].jpg
    40 KB · Views: 7,537
  • DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 015 [].jpg
    DEC 12TH CELLAR HOLE SNIFFY 015 [].jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 7,498
Upvote 2

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did I miss this post? Great find, especially digging in the snow like that! Definitely Civil War era as others have said, you can tell by the narrow tongue on the back. You have had a great year hunting those cellar holes!

My brother found this one here in PA while looking for petrified wood in a cornfield. There is some of the petrified wood in the pic as well. There was an old house along one side of the field where there was some turn of the century trash dumped. He found the plate in that area. I bought it off him and it is now in my collection. I dug a keeper in Virginia, but would really like to dig the plate myself.

Attachments

• Sword Belt.jpg.JPG
    Sword Belt.jpg.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 1,538

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: Dave , Is it me ??? some members are so busy posting "comparison pics to steal your thunder " or for whatever reason , :icon_scratch: that they don't realize this thread is over a year old . :dontknow: read people ...great find from a year ago ::) ::) ::) :D

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CMDiamonddawg said:
:laughing9: Dave , Is it me ??? some members are so busy posting "comparison pics to steal your thunder " or for whatever reason , :icon_scratch: that they don't realize this thread is over a year old . :dontknow: read people ...great find from a year ago ::) ::) ::) :D

Ooops, I just saw Dec 12 and thought this was a recent post. Didn't notice the year 2009. Still a great find and worthy of belated congratulations. I apologize if I "stole" any old thunder by posting a comparison piece found in a non Civil War context.

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steve in PA said:
CMDiamonddawg said:

Ooops, I just saw Dec 12 and thought this was a recent post. Didn't notice the year 2009. Still a great find and worthy of belated congratulations. I apologize if I "stole" any old thunder by posting a comparison piece found in a non Civil War context.
don't worry about it lol i already had my thunder on this post last year. a little lightning now i guess :laughing7:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
Steve in PA said:
CMDiamonddawg said:

don't worry about it lol i already had my thunder on this post last year. a little lightning now i guess :laughing7:

LOL - Either lighting or maybe more like a FLASHBACK :laughing7:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know how this post snuck past me, but that is a great find! I am not much of a CW relic hunter, as we have mostly older sites here, but I would not mind finding one of those one bit!

It is even nicer to see that these things turn up in New England!

I was gonna be heading up to your town for the holiday weekend, but I scrapped the plans! One of these days I will make it up and put some detecting time aside for you while my wife hangs out with her old college roommates.

Have a happy New Year!

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
I don't know how this post snuck past me, but that is a great find! I am not much of a CW relic hunter, as we have mostly older sites here, but I would not mind finding one of those one bit!

It is even nicer to see that these things turn up in New England!

I was gonna be heading up to your town for the holiday weekend, but I scrapped the plans! One of these days I will make it up and put some detecting time aside for you while my wife hangs out with her old college roommates.

Have a happy New Year!
thanks Neil happy new year to you too.too much snow to detect up here at this moment but yeah,would love to meet ya and do a hunt sometime!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The number on the back is actually a bench number (inspector's number). I have found keeper and buckle at the same homestead site before, and the numbers did not match. I have also seen buckles dug with keepers that matched. But I'm not certain that a matched set was always the case. Keep searching. There may be a keeper there, or part of the sabre rig.

-Buckles

foundation hunter

Jun 2, 2009
Terryville
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Looks like our metal detecting is over for this winter at least untill all these feet of snow melt.Nice find for 2009.
Gary

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice plate. I'm guessing sword plates don't make banner anymore. lol

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice plate. I'm guessing sword plates don't make banner anymore. lol
it did make the banner a few years ago.no idea who dug this old timer thread up? lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread