Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
November 25th, 1863. Missionary Ridge
Braxton Braggs center defenses were over run and the battle and long siege of Chattanooga was ended. The confederate retreat seemed to be in shambles. Sheridan now stands on top of Missionary Ridge and could see the jammed wagon trails full of ambulances men and artillery of the Confederacy. He could not resist and sent the Ohio and Indiana boys to go recover what they could. They captured boxes of stores and around 200 prisoners. Inspired by this quick success they decided to pursue the Confederates just a half a mile away.
Bates set up a rear guard for the retreating confederates on a small ridge and from here he blasted the 97th Ohio and the 40th in the valley below. Musket balls and canister shot rained down with one soldier saying “it sounded like flocks of winged geese going by”. The bloody skirmish killed more here than the taking of the center of Braggs front on Missionary ridge. 149 officers and men of 434 present died and 40 of the 40th were killed for a total of 118 from Indiana. 45% engaged were now casulties of war. Sheridan ordered another attack and Bates leaving two guns retreated into the night.
In 1927 my great uncle built his home on this hill that still remains in the family. These are some of the finds from my yard. I have hesitated posting not wanting the hunt to ever end but it was time to post after that last bullet I dug today. I feel I will always find another item hopefully. I have been working and have almost completed the digging in the valley at the base of the hill in the neighborhood where so many had died in such a short time. Much has been destroyed by construction but if you know where to look the old wagon road still remains and is visible as it winds through my back yard. I often sit on the deck and imagine the soldiers bloody and defeated winding across the back yard that cold clear night many years ago.
Here are my finds from that battle and later items lost from my family through a couple of generations. All from my yard.
Thank you for taking the time to look and read. I felt it was important to know in this post at least why some things are where they are. Have been digging this for a while just hated to see it slow down. But the hits were slowing down today so here I am???
HH
TnMountains
Couple bullets shotgun base live shell and a merry widows can and a not so old token ?
100_1345.JPG
Some of the bullets still have the wood plug in them.
100_1345.JPG
Total so far including a few old wheat backs, some silver coins, tokens, grommets, grape shot and bullets. A few what is its also.
100_1360.JPG
Brass Lords Prayer. We find these a lot on battle areas?
100_1366.JPG
Rural Free Delivery lock
100_1365.JPG
100_1376.JPG
War World I Toy lead soldier
100_1377.JPG
Alabama luxury tax token(wonder if its still good?)
100_1375.JPG
100_1361.JPG
Nasville coach lines school fare. Hit it with my bayonet : (
100_1363.JPG
Great Great Merc(did I say great?)
100_1354.JPG
tired 1914 silver
100_1374.JPG
coins 1926 and1918 mercs 1947 and 1960 dimes
1944 nickle and a 1949
Lots of wheats not shown
Lots of current clad spent at store
HH
TnMountains

Attachments

• 100_1369.JPG
    100_1369.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 2,018
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa...Holy Smokes!! A Treasure trove of Goodies, wish I had a back yard like that...Congrats on your Finds :headbang:

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
I have to admit. I see a lot of nice jewelry, coins, etc., but this is phenomenal story and the digs truly amazing. Were I you, I would definitely post this to the "Best finds" section.
Thanks for sharing with us.
~Nash~

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
surprized no yankee butttons there --with that many lost you'ld think there would be buttons around there

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
surprized no yankee butttons there --with that many lost you'ld think there would be buttons around there

Ivan have found some I buttons down below still digging that area.This was just from my yard not a button one ??? Mostly drops to be honest. They defended and scooted sir.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nashoba said:
I have to admit. I see a lot of nice jewelry, coins, etc., but this is phenomenal story and the digs truly amazing. Were I you, I would definitely post this to the "Best finds" section.
Thanks for sharing with us.
~Nash~

Relic hunters are funny about their spots. They know the history themselves but never share it because human nature will sneak in on ya.I can share this history cause I doubt anyone would be crazy enough to try to dig in me yard ,lol. I have had better hunts and better items but none as special and fun as this one. May move it there until I dig out that whole cannon !!
Thanks all

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Awesome story and fantastic finds. You got what many of us dream about. Great job and recovery of history.

Randy

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
with the numbers of union soldiers lost at the hill bottom the union troops were clearly taken by surprize by the confederate batterys upon on the ridge (most likely thought the enemy was in full retreat and they rushed in with out checking properly --big mistake on their part)-- there should be a good amount of union buttons down at the area at the hill bottom --being the confederates hit them hard with the cannons then split before the union forces could reform and counter attack --with this type of attack there would be few if any confederate losses so not much in the way of confederate goods lost most likely -- (the rebel troops were prepared --- laying in wait for the union troops --- hit em and run--- so not much left behind to speak of by the confederates)

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As enjoyable as it is to see the fruits of your labor, it is made even better when I can read the history behind the artifacts you have displayed. In essence, it personalizes the items and allows me to view them with greater awe.
Thank you.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. Ivan you are right. I have got about 6 large estate lots below me and have permission to hunt them. One of the guys say he dug out a fish pond years ago and found so many bullets they lined the concrete pond with them. Neices, nephews and grand children have all plucked them out. Am looking forward to taking my time and see whats there. I never tire even if just pulling out nothing but bullets. :icon_sunny:
TnMountains

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread