Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
November 25th, 1863. Missionary Ridge
Braxton Braggs center defenses were over run and the battle and long siege of Chattanooga was ended. The confederate retreat seemed to be in shambles. Sheridan now stands on top of Missionary Ridge and could see the jammed wagon trails full of ambulances men and artillery of the Confederacy. He could not resist and sent the Ohio and Indiana boys to go recover what they could. They captured boxes of stores and around 200 prisoners. Inspired by this quick success they decided to pursue the Confederates just a half a mile away.
Bates set up a rear guard for the retreating confederates on a small ridge and from here he blasted the 97th Ohio and the 40th in the valley below. Musket balls and canister shot rained down with one soldier saying “it sounded like flocks of winged geese going by”. The bloody skirmish killed more here than the taking of the center of Braggs front on Missionary ridge. 149 officers and men of 434 present died and 40 of the 40th were killed for a total of 118 from Indiana. 45% engaged were now casulties of war. Sheridan ordered another attack and Bates leaving two guns retreated into the night.
In 1927 my great uncle built his home on this hill that still remains in the family. These are some of the finds from my yard. I have hesitated posting not wanting the hunt to ever end but it was time to post after that last bullet I dug today. I feel I will always find another item hopefully. I have been working and have almost completed the digging in the valley at the base of the hill in the neighborhood where so many had died in such a short time. Much has been destroyed by construction but if you know where to look the old wagon road still remains and is visible as it winds through my back yard. I often sit on the deck and imagine the soldiers bloody and defeated winding across the back yard that cold clear night many years ago.
Here are my finds from that battle and later items lost from my family through a couple of generations. All from my yard.
Thank you for taking the time to look and read. I felt it was important to know in this post at least why some things are where they are. Have been digging this for a while just hated to see it slow down. But the hits were slowing down today so here I am???
HH
TnMountains
Couple bullets shotgun base live shell and a merry widows can and a not so old token ?
100_1345.JPG
Some of the bullets still have the wood plug in them.
100_1345.JPG
Total so far including a few old wheat backs, some silver coins, tokens, grommets, grape shot and bullets. A few what is its also.
100_1360.JPG
Brass Lords Prayer. We find these a lot on battle areas?
100_1366.JPG
Rural Free Delivery lock
100_1365.JPG
100_1376.JPG
War World I Toy lead soldier
100_1377.JPG
Alabama luxury tax token(wonder if its still good?)
100_1375.JPG
100_1361.JPG
Nasville coach lines school fare. Hit it with my bayonet : (
100_1363.JPG
Great Great Merc(did I say great?)
100_1354.JPG
tired 1914 silver
100_1374.JPG
coins 1926 and1918 mercs 1947 and 1960 dimes
1944 nickle and a 1949
Lots of wheats not shown
Lots of current clad spent at store
HH
TnMountains

Attachments

• 100_1369.JPG
    100_1369.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 2,018
Upvote 0

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Awesome post TN. I wish I had a back yard like that. I really don't think you've dug it all. There's more there waiting for you to find. Tesoro rocks but there are other detectors out there that are much deeper. A site is never hunted out. :thumbsup:

Good Luck
Randy

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
Awesome post TN. I wish I had a back yard like that. I really don't think you've dug it all. There's more there waiting for you to find. Tesoro rocks but there are other detectors out there that are much deeper. A site is never hunted out. :thumbsup:

Good Luck
Randy
Thanks Randy I appreciate it. Once in a blue moon you get lucky. I was lucky to have this. It was years though before I really understood what had happened.The journey for me was the fun part.
TnMtns

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Alabama Tax Tokens were issued so that people could get change for uneven sales tax. There were valued at 1/10 of a cent. So if you bought something for $1.89 and sales tax was 3% the total would be 5.7 cents. So you would pay $1.95 and get three tokens back that you could use at other places to pay the point-something sales tax. Now the tenths of a cent are just rounded.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_an_Alabama_tax_token

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic CW history post !! Horrible loss of life! Amazing ,all that history is in your family 's yard :thumbsup: awesome ,Great finds and story TN ..There is more to be found ,keep searching,Good luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:!

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Mackaydon said:
Alabama Tax Tokens were issued so that people could get change for uneven sales tax. There were valued at 1/10 of a cent. So if you bought something for $1.89 and sales tax was 3% the total would be 5.7 cents. So you would pay $1.95 and get three tokens back that you could use at other places to pay the point-something sales tax. Now the tenths of a cent are just rounded.

We find tax tokens everywhere we hunt. Most have a hole in the center. The one TN posted is the only other one I have seen dug in a long time of its kind. And in great shape too I might add. I found my first of this type this year and it's in much worse shape.

Attachments

• token.JPG
    token.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,934
  • token.JPG
    token.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,933
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CMDiamonddawg said:
Fantastic CW history post !! Horrible loss of life! Amazing ,all that history is in your family 's yard :thumbsup: awesome ,Great finds and story TN ..There is more to be found ,keep searching,Good luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:!

Thank you. Its hard to beleive as you drive thru a neighborhood and look at the terrain and imagine what it must have been like. Not everything is a National battlefield. Thanks

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
Mackaydon said:

We find tax tokens everywhere we hunt. Most have a hole in the center. The one TN posted is the only other one I have seen dug in a long time of its kind. And in great shape too I might add. I found my first of this type this year and it's in much worse shape.

My yard is terraced in mountain stone and flower beds. I swear the flower beds were the best. It was crazy hunting and no way could i have dug someone elses yard like I did this. i dug up flower bulbs in almost every plug. I think what is good is that the soil drains quick on the side of a hill also :laughing7:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
TnMountains said:
RPG said:
Mackaydon said:

My yard is terraced in mountain stone and flower beds. I swear the flower beds were the best. It was crazy hunting and no way could i have dug someone elses yard like I did this. i dug up flower bulbs in almost every plug. I think what is good is that the soil drains quick on the side of a hill also :laughing7:

How about a pic of the yard and the terrain. I bet it's beautiful this time of year. :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its pouring down rain here and all the leafs are down but here is a pic from this last spring of one side.The whole yard is landscaped similiar to this though. So it was like hunting steps rocks and flower beds. Here is another of the front in 1928.
TnMtns

Attachments

• 100_1298.JPG
    100_1298.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,827
  • sc00801cef.jpg
    sc00801cef.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,820
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I look forward to posting what I am finding from the base of the hill and valley below. Hopefully I will have time to finish those digs by spring.
HH
TnMountains

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is a great post and a great story. Well, actually it's a tragic story, but you know what I mean. Great to have such important history in your own back yard.

You never know, that spot could produce a few more goodies, even if slowly.

Great to see everything pictured together like that.

Tesoro rocks but there are other detectors out there that are much deeper

The Nautilus, maybe. For most terrain, based on my experience, Tesoro is right up there with any other brand.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Thanks for posting this. It's cool you have a place like that with so much history.
have you been digging the big iron? Could be a deep shell or two in there. On the Enfield bullets with the boxwood plugs.Did you know some Enfields have letters, numbers or designs in the bases and some are quite rare. I always leave the plugs in the bullet as they will eventually dry out enough where they will come out of the base. Then you can check the base without damaging the plug. It may not be a big deal to some people but I just like to keep the plug with the bullet.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusted_Iron said:
Wow, that is a great post and a great story. Well, actually it's a tragic story, but you know what I mean. Great to have such important history in your own back yard.

You never know, that spot could produce a few more goodies, even if slowly.

Great to see everything pictured together like that.

Tesoro rocks but there are other detectors out there that are much deeper

The Nautilus, maybe. For most terrain, based on my experience, Tesoro is right up there with any other brand.

Here is was fast and they never dug in or entrenched. The area below is better due to the confusion and battering. Tesoro finds this stuff deep its a good machine and I have confidence in it. I could not imagine changing now .
Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vayank54 said:
Thanks for posting this. It's cool you have a place like that with so much history.
have you been digging the big iron? Could be a deep shell or two in there. On the Enfield bullets with the boxwood plugs.Did you know some Enfields have letters, numbers or designs in the bases and some are quite rare. I always leave the plugs in the bullet as they will eventually dry out enough where they will come out of the base. Then you can check the base without damaging the plug. It may not be a big deal to some people but I just like to keep the plug with the bullet.

Vayank
I have been digging some clusters of grape shot that were dropped. I always dig the iron if the hit has any strength to it. I feel I will dig more below the house. All the wood plugged enfields here are blank so far. Some have the wood trapped in them though. I wish they had the star or other markings. The triangle based bullet was nice as are the williams cleaners. Have only posted and kept seperate this yard. I have dug a few others already but want to finish the bottom and keep that battle stuff seperate if that makes any sense??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread