Pics and a question

D

debid

Here is some of the stuff I have been finding. The little guy that looks like he belongs on a tractor was found in my basement.
I have 2 excellent virgin sites. They are both old farms that are torn down. I am certain nobody has ever hunted them. My question is.... Even though I am finding all of this neat stuff,,, Why am I not finding coins? What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• 000_06391.jpg
    000_06391.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 536
Upvote 0

tgravatt

Dec 21, 2005
Pierre, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
nevrdundetecting said:
tgravatt said:
Hello!

Just a few questions here. Is the button a one-piece or two? What size is the button? If two piece, is it hinged, or does the back open from the front? On the back, if you can read it, what company manufactured the button? From the information that I have from my "Record of American Uniform And Historical Buttons" book, it looks like it is a Great Seal Button, two piece, type II. These are from beginning in 1902 and are typically "General Service" type buttons. Some of the Manufactures are H.V. Allien & Co./New York, Dusenbury & Schwab Inc./New York/229 4th Ave., Luxenberg/New York/Made in England, Rosenfield & Rapkin/Boston. Mass, Tiffany & Co. **M**/Makers/Bronze, Morry Luxenberg/London, Warnock Uniform Co/New York,Liberty Mfg. Co. Los Angeles. Cal, & Waterbury Button Co*/Conn.

Good finds though!

HH and good Luck!

T.G.Creations

I have an eagle button too that was made by "Rex Products, New Rochelle, NY"

T.G. - is there any way to date these particular buttons?? Thx

HH
Hello!

I hate to tell you this, but "Eagle" buttons have been made from 1787 to present date. Do you have a pic? From my book, I didn't find that manufacturer at all, so it is likely to be after the early 1900's

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

HH and good luck!

T.G.Creations

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very nice finds,,WTG!!!
I think I just saw one of those little guys on the Antiques Road Show a while back. He was on an old cast iron, antique car,(1919 get out and push type,, ;D) but they were probably used on several other vehicles as well...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do have a pic but, like you said, I don't think that this particular button is very old, I still like it tho.....it is a really nice looking button

here's the pic....

Attachments

• 11_21_05_finds_1 (Medium).jpg
    11_21_05_finds_1 (Medium).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 209
  • 11_21_05_finds_2 (Medium).jpg
    11_21_05_finds_2 (Medium).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 207

tgravatt

Dec 21, 2005
Pierre, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
nevrdundetecting said:
I do have a pic but, like you said, I don't think that this particular button is very old, I still like it tho.....it is a really nice looking button

here's the pic....

Hello!

From the looks of the button, I would say that you have a Great Seal Button, original date beginning 1902. Since there are many variations and manufacturer's of this type of button (at least 6 or 7 manufacturer's), it is most likely of this type. It is closest to #GI 102 in my book.

Hope that this helps.

HH and good luck!

T.G.Creations.

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
You just have a lot of work ahead of you, those kind of sites are always full of trash. But all of that trash is interesting, and some is valueable. Once you think you have an area cleaned up, crank up the power on your md and go over it again. Search the drive or path to where the mailbox was or is. and around the mail box. There are coins on that property, and you will find them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread