Pics and a question

D

debid

Here is some of the stuff I have been finding. The little guy that looks like he belongs on a tractor was found in my basement.
I have 2 excellent virgin sites. They are both old farms that are torn down. I am certain nobody has ever hunted them. My question is.... Even though I am finding all of this neat stuff,,, Why am I not finding coins? What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• 000_06391.jpg
    000_06391.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 536
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

debid

Buttons up close. I have only cleaned one.

Attachments

• 000_0640.jpg
    000_0640.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 532

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Debid,

very nice group of artifacts.

When I go out on my property to work the garden, or such, I leave my wallet in the house and sure do not
need any change out there. Could be the same with the family that worked the property your detecting on.

It is just me, but I enjoy finding artifacts like yours as much, if not more, as finding coins.

Try searching in some areas that had more traffic, more folks passing through, if you want to focus on
coins.

have a good un.................

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice stuff. They are there. There might not be that many coins. They were probably careful. You will probably have to listen for those deeper beeps. Sometimes a place can be cherry picked by a good detctorist. With a good i.d machine one can dig just coins if they are good. Dig all your signals. The more you take out the more you'll find.

Good Luck Jer

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Debid,

very nice group of artifacts.

When I go out on my property to work the garden, or such, I leave my wallet in the house and sure do not
need any change out there.? Could be the same with the family that worked the property your detecting on.?

It is just me, but I enjoy finding artifacts like yours as much, if not more, as finding coins.

Try searching in some areas that had more traffic, more folks passing through, if you want to focus on
coins.

have a good un.................

Very true sherm, my granddad was that way as well. If he didn't need it for a specific reason on the farm-it stayed in hs desk. Usually had just a pocket knife and a pait of fencing pliers on him.

Debid, hang in there. Th marbles show that there was at least one kid around, so there may be a few coins in the area as well.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relics and you can't find coins if they aren't there, LOL! Try to figure out where the doors to the house were, was there a well? Check out the sunny side of the house, where a clothes line may have been. Any sign of an outhouse, wouldn't be too far from the house, it would be interesting to dig out an old outhouse pit. Any cellar holes? Check the walls as well if there area. HH and good luck, Mike

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II
Finds are great - probably you even do not need coins ;)

Agree with Mike:
My first months detecting I found no coins too, and only after it I started to think about where should I hunt.

tgravatt

Dec 21, 2005
Pierre, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Hello!

From the looks of some of the things that you have found, I think that your detector is set up ok to find coins. The buttons, the aluminum thingy, the bottle top, and other items all would signal very similiar to what particular coins would as well. One thing, is that now that you have sort of "cleaned up" the area, it would be a good idea to go back over the same areas and try again, since these previous items may have been masking coins that were possibly underneath. Slowing down the swing would help a lot too. I have gone to areas, removed trash items and then gone back and checked again, and found coins...and such.

HH and good luck!

T.G.Creations

Attachments

• another mans treasure.jpg
    another mans treasure.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 431

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Debid: I found a button identicial to the one in your picture, I think they are WWII coat buttons.

Attachments

• HPIM0160.JPG
    HPIM0160.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 423

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love the marbles. You've got a good eye. The other objects, like the buttons, show that you would find a coin if it was there.

Keep trying, Bid. Some cellar holes are just like that. The owners watched their money very carefully.

I would work a grid pattern close to the house. Go one way back and forth, and then detect in perpendicular pattern to the first search. My best coins have been within 30 feet of the house.

tgravatt

Dec 21, 2005
Pierre, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Hello!

Just a few questions here. Is the button a one-piece or two? What size is the button? If two piece, is it hinged, or does the back open from the front? On the back, if you can read it, what company manufactured the button? From the information that I have from my "Record of American Uniform And Historical Buttons" book, it looks like it is a Great Seal Button, two piece, type II. These are from beginning in 1902 and are typically "General Service" type buttons. Some of the Manufactures are H.V. Allien & Co./New York, Dusenbury & Schwab Inc./New York/229 4th Ave., Luxenberg/New York/Made in England, Rosenfield & Rapkin/Boston. Mass, Tiffany & Co. **M**/Makers/Bronze, Morry Luxenberg/London, Warnock Uniform Co/New York,Liberty Mfg. Co. Los Angeles. Cal, & Waterbury Button Co*/Conn.

Good finds though!

HH and good Luck!

T.G.Creations

Attachments

• MilitaryButton 6.JPG
    MilitaryButton 6.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 322

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Work especially hard around doorways and the small are around them. Check along sidewalks if any, right up along the edges. Check areas between the house and the barn if one existed, any place to park a wagon or tie up a horse, etc. Monty

OP
OP
D

debid

One of the buttons is broken (the back missing) the front wrapped around the back. I cannot make out what the back of the other buttons say.

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tgravatt said:
Hello!

Just a few questions here. Is the button a one-piece or two? What size is the button? If two piece, is it hinged, or does the back open from the front? On the back, if you can read it, what company manufactured the button? From the information that I have from my "Record of American Uniform And Historical Buttons" book, it looks like it is a Great Seal Button, two piece, type II. These are from beginning in 1902 and are typically "General Service" type buttons. Some of the Manufactures are H.V. Allien & Co./New York, Dusenbury & Schwab Inc./New York/229 4th Ave., Luxenberg/New York/Made in England, Rosenfield & Rapkin/Boston. Mass, Tiffany & Co. **M**/Makers/Bronze, Morry Luxenberg/London, Warnock Uniform Co/New York,Liberty Mfg. Co. Los Angeles. Cal, & Waterbury Button Co*/Conn.

Good finds though!

HH and good Luck!

T.G.Creations

I have an eagle button too that was made by "Rex Products, New Rochelle, NY"

T.G. - is there any way to date these particular buttons? Thx

HH

popcorn

Jun 18, 2005
I live in an old farm house with twenty five acres and all I am able to find is old beer cans and pull tabs and other trash items. happy hunting. 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions