Hunted in the pouring rain today found what is left of a 200 yr old cent!

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was determined to get in one more hunt in 2009 a site I had researched was taken by the strip miners but I noticed a short section of farm wall and original grade they missed after the leafs were down you could see it from the road. Something told me the guy that built that wall dropped me a coin but I never found the time to hunt it until today rain or not it was going to get hunted. My new explorer did not seem like a good choice given the rain so I put my wife's shower cap over the control box of my ace 250 and headed out. As I slipped and slided down the steep grade to the site in the pouring rain I started to question myself a bit this was nuts! I hunted an hour with no real signals then boom a belltone that is my aces way of saying dig. out came a smooth semi round disc I thought i had my first colonial then I saw the rolled over edge and thought it was not a coin at all. At home peroxide dip revealed no details I was bummed. So i figured it was not a coin and i put coin peroxide and jar all in the microwave and blasted it for 45 sec or so then scrubbed it with a toothbrush and soon saw liberty on a left facing bust! I was stunned my shell tumbler revealed the date 1809! She is in the worst shape but I got a date my oldest coin yet! I cant imagine what happend to the edge. Any theories?

Attachments

• 1809 002.JPG
    1809 002.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 850
  • 1809 003.JPG
    1809 003.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 844
  • 1809 004.JPG
    1809 004.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 850
  • 1809 005.JPG
    1809 005.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 847
Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing to pull a date off that. :icon_thumright: Still a cool find I wouldn't mind making.

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Jar, peroxide, AND coin in the microwave? :o :o :o Glad it worked, wouldnt have been me!! Nice find and congrats!!!

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
Amazing to pull a date off that. :icon_thumright: Still a cool find I wouldn't mind making.

where is the date on it!? :icon_pirat:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K*E*L*L*Y said:
DigginThePast said:

where is the date on it!? :icon_pirat:

Actually I couldn't make it out. :D relic lover said it was 1809, must be able to see more detail in person. :)

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take that coin any day in the field!!! Great Find !! I am surprised you got a date off it !!! MaineRelic.

OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can only read the last 2 digits in the date under magnification and oblique lighting the coin is oversized and thin I thought it was in a fire maybe.

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was definitely going to say counterfeit. Nice find. And anyway, isn't the bust not the right one for an 1809 date? I think 1809 was like the first year of the classic head type. Who knows, it sure is interesting!

OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrsherman said:
Jar, peroxide, AND coin in the microwave? :o :o :o Glad it worked, wouldnt have been me!! Nice find and congrats!!!
I must confess I do it often on coins that seem hopeless, in this case there was no proof this was even a coin. I have never been sorry yet but I know it is a risk.

OP
OP
relic lover

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
capndan151 said:
Now you need to try to break into 1700's...
2010 will be the year!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread