Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all..... Just got back from another week at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville.... I had one day (last thursday) with no appointments, so I figured I would try out some of the local parks... I found one about 7 miles from the motel and it was a tot-lot next to a school. Regular tot-lot, medium sized, and an adjacent Basketball court along side of it.. I have been making a point lately of hitting the areas of tot-lot's away from the heavy traffic/play areas, as so many of the lots I hit lately seem to have been picked clean right around the play areas. This has paid off on several trips as nothing is found in the usual areas, but I find stuff on the perimeter and even around the bench's where moms sit and watch..
I hadnt gone ten feet into the area when the MXT went off with a scattered but strong signal, bouncing back and forth between nickel/ring range and 1 cent/10 cent range... Usually this finds a disfigured or rusty bottle cap, but I am keeping to my promise to dig everything... It says the object is 8" down, so I start digging.. Nothing in the hole, nothing in the pile of chips/dirt next to the hole.. Sweep again and it says it is still in the hole.. I take the pinpointer out and probe the hole, and on the inside of the hole at about 7" it goes off... So I take the lesche and dig away at the side a bit and when the dirt falls, there it is.. Another silver chain!!! Man oh man, how can I be so lucky?!? So I grab it, and pick away at the dirt as I pull... Out she comes and it is a lovely 24" silver chain!! Man I am so pumped... Put it deep in my pocket so I dont lose it, and continue to work the lot... The first pic is of the rest of the stuff I found, the big earrings look like gold, but I cannot find stamps on them anywhere so they cant be... But man, when I saw them shining down in the holes at first, I was simply dumbfounded at my streak of good luck... As a side note, the area I was hunting was NOT in a good area of Jax... I found 2 .32 loaded bullets, and one .38 cal deformed bullet that had obviously been shot into the dirt.. GULP... Ended up with $4.38 in clad at this spot also, which was a bonus..... Now back to the necklace...
I get back to the motel, of course I am so excited to tell the wife about the necklace.. But first I wash it off.. Didnt look right, but oh well, it may have tinted due to the tannin in the wood chips or something. After I show the wife the other stuff I found and the clad, I then pull the chain out of my pocket and proudly show her "look, another silver chain!"... She of course was happy, but as I handed it to her, she says "this one must be thicker than the other one you found, it feels heavier".... Oh man, I suddenly feel a lump in my throat, thinking that maybe I simply found a cheap chain that is silver plated... "I never looked for the .925 mark, I guess I should before I get too excited"... I pull out the mag glass, and nervously look at the clasp.... WHAT?!?!?!? Yes, you guessed it, "ITALY 14K".... OMG, I couldnt believe it! The MXT had just more than twice paid for itself!!!
Just got back home last night, and first thing I did was weigh it... 43.89 gms!
I have to wonder how people lose things like that. The clasp is not broken, but has a slight gap in it, just enough for the other side to slip through if you move it just right.. I guess someone was running or such and as it bounced around, it fell off.... Maybe someone running from a bullet?? LOL...

Enjoy the pictures folks, I am still grinning from ear to ear... Of course, with the med bills I have and such, it will have to go to the gold buyers, either midwest or ARAgold... Leaning toward ARAgold though...

First pic is of the odd's and ends jewelry, then the whole chain, then the clasp that says it all....

Attachments

• jax finds.jpg
    jax finds.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 9,381
  • 14k.jpg
    14k.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 9,444
  • 14k_2.jpg
    14k_2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 9,526
Upvote 0

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
Re: MXT pays for itself (and then some)..... Lucky Day!!!

:headbang: Wow!! Very cool Chain. When you mentioned that it's in a not so nice part of town, I thought of the gangbangers, and all that bling they wear. Some kids get drunk, horse around in the park, etc.. by kids I mean teens & young adults. I have been down in the non-tourist industrial parts of Jacksonville in my trucking job. Always keeping my eyes open, watching for any danger. We had a yard near this one dog track.

WTG!! Nice find. Worth the work with all that digging. * sweet! *

skt

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was going to skip this post until I saw the 14k stamp. :o It then made me read it and sign in. :laughing7: So I can leave a comment like this... :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Wow, dude great gold find !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer

Beaut find mate. I just wish I lived nearer the beach sometimes, but only for the detecting. I love the bush.

The cat

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds the Mxt Rocks 4th time out found me a gold keychain today of 5.2 Grams sold it for 65 bucks. Im sure it was worht more though.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Real sweet, id be selling it also.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

nice score -- might have been pulled off and dropped during a fight during a late night dope deal gone sour at the park -- a sady a all to common event---- the huge ( over 8 oz of 925 sterling) silver chain that you see to the left had a sprung open clasp also (I think thats how it got lost too -- late night dope fight )--when doper folks fight up close hand to hand -- they use the other guys chain round his neck to choke / strangle him with by grabbing it amd twisting it -- if it breaks they drop it to free up their hands to fight with -- if at night no one sees where it went and frankly at the time do not much care ,if both live thru "the fight" -- both are likely scared to return back to the spot for fear the other is laying in wait to "cap" them. -- jacksonville esp late at night is a place that can be very dangerous indeed.

jax mostly due to drug dealing has one of the highest murder per 100,000 people rates in florida , I live nearby I know how rough it can be -- night hunting can be dangerous -- go armed and with a freind to cover your six.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds

good find!!

you know, I think everyone finds something worth way more than their detecting machine almost all the time, it just seems to happen faster to some than others. This has got to be one of the only activities that can boast that, it seems it's always a win situation for us detectorists.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on making the BANNER! :icon_thumright:

HH,
GG~

Chaz

Aug 3, 2007
Carlisle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab

Awesome chain! Amazing how the whole thing could get buried down 7 inches. You might check the clasp, and other end of the chain for 14k marks before sending it in. I've been big-time disappointed before with the 14K Italy mark being just on one end of the chain. Mine even weighed about right for gold- frustrating. It's those gang bangers that provide us with the good finds!

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

woooo! White gold 6mm figaro chain! Now THAT'S a find!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Congrats! I hope it is real! I had a heavy chain, marked 14K that was fake.

Corpsegrinder

Oct 21, 2008
Magnolia AR
Detector(s) used
(2)Minelab E-Tracs, 12x10 SEF's, Sunray X-1 Probes, & an arsonal of coils. Excal 2, Tesoro Golden Sabre+

Nice find.. Check the tongue on the clasp. if its not marked 585 or 14k then its prolly fake. I see those everyday and thats one good way of spoting a fake one. other than acid testing..

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i would have it checked out! i hope its worth what you think. i'm thinking its plated and has worn off!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It says Italy, :icon_scratch: I've never seen a fake one that says Italy. I have seen fakes marked 14k and .925 but they never say Italy. :dontknow: I think its real and from K-mart they have Italy on their jewelry. :icon_thumleft:

See on the clasp all the little dents... I think, This happens to Gold cause its so soft. (These ways are not a scientific way of telling just something I noticed.) Your best bet is an Acid test from your local coin/pawn or jewelry store. :notworthy: :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Cr4zyH0rs3

Mar 3, 2007
MA.
Detector(s) used
X-70 & Myself

keverett said:
Very nice!! Had to feel good to know that the detector paid for itself in one outing!!! Keep up the good work!! :thumbsup:

This!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy smokes SS :o :o :o congrats on the BANNER gold bling!!!! :hello2:
Gold is a beautiful thing. :icon_sunny:
Mr. T called looking for that thing so watch out. ;D
-MM-

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 7,457
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 7,474

Corpsegrinder

Oct 21, 2008
Magnolia AR
Detector(s) used
(2)Minelab E-Tracs, 12x10 SEF's, Sunray X-1 Probes, & an arsonal of coils. Excal 2, Tesoro Golden Sabre+

I have seen a ton of them.. Have one in my my desk right now that i keep on hand to show people who buy that stuff thinking its real and then i have to give them the bad news that they got ripped off.. I just drop a little 14k acid on it and watch it bubble green..

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
It says Italy, :icon_scratch: I've never seen a fake one that says Italy. I have seen fakes marked 14k and .925 but they never say Italy. :dontknow: I think its real and from K-mart they have Italy on their jewelry. :icon_thumleft:

See on the clasp all the little dents... I think, This happens to Gold cause its so soft. (These ways are not a scientific way of telling just something I noticed.) Your best bet is an Acid test from your local coin/pawn or jewelry store. :notworthy: :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread