Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all..... Just got back from another week at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville.... I had one day (last thursday) with no appointments, so I figured I would try out some of the local parks... I found one about 7 miles from the motel and it was a tot-lot next to a school. Regular tot-lot, medium sized, and an adjacent Basketball court along side of it.. I have been making a point lately of hitting the areas of tot-lot's away from the heavy traffic/play areas, as so many of the lots I hit lately seem to have been picked clean right around the play areas. This has paid off on several trips as nothing is found in the usual areas, but I find stuff on the perimeter and even around the bench's where moms sit and watch..
I hadnt gone ten feet into the area when the MXT went off with a scattered but strong signal, bouncing back and forth between nickel/ring range and 1 cent/10 cent range... Usually this finds a disfigured or rusty bottle cap, but I am keeping to my promise to dig everything... It says the object is 8" down, so I start digging.. Nothing in the hole, nothing in the pile of chips/dirt next to the hole.. Sweep again and it says it is still in the hole.. I take the pinpointer out and probe the hole, and on the inside of the hole at about 7" it goes off... So I take the lesche and dig away at the side a bit and when the dirt falls, there it is.. Another silver chain!!! Man oh man, how can I be so lucky?!? So I grab it, and pick away at the dirt as I pull... Out she comes and it is a lovely 24" silver chain!! Man I am so pumped... Put it deep in my pocket so I dont lose it, and continue to work the lot... The first pic is of the rest of the stuff I found, the big earrings look like gold, but I cannot find stamps on them anywhere so they cant be... But man, when I saw them shining down in the holes at first, I was simply dumbfounded at my streak of good luck... As a side note, the area I was hunting was NOT in a good area of Jax... I found 2 .32 loaded bullets, and one .38 cal deformed bullet that had obviously been shot into the dirt.. GULP... Ended up with $4.38 in clad at this spot also, which was a bonus..... Now back to the necklace...
I get back to the motel, of course I am so excited to tell the wife about the necklace.. But first I wash it off.. Didnt look right, but oh well, it may have tinted due to the tannin in the wood chips or something. After I show the wife the other stuff I found and the clad, I then pull the chain out of my pocket and proudly show her "look, another silver chain!"... She of course was happy, but as I handed it to her, she says "this one must be thicker than the other one you found, it feels heavier".... Oh man, I suddenly feel a lump in my throat, thinking that maybe I simply found a cheap chain that is silver plated... "I never looked for the .925 mark, I guess I should before I get too excited"... I pull out the mag glass, and nervously look at the clasp.... WHAT?!?!?!? Yes, you guessed it, "ITALY 14K".... OMG, I couldnt believe it! The MXT had just more than twice paid for itself!!!
Just got back home last night, and first thing I did was weigh it... 43.89 gms!
I have to wonder how people lose things like that. The clasp is not broken, but has a slight gap in it, just enough for the other side to slip through if you move it just right.. I guess someone was running or such and as it bounced around, it fell off.... Maybe someone running from a bullet?? LOL...

Enjoy the pictures folks, I am still grinning from ear to ear... Of course, with the med bills I have and such, it will have to go to the gold buyers, either midwest or ARAgold... Leaning toward ARAgold though...

First pic is of the odd's and ends jewelry, then the whole chain, then the clasp that says it all....

Attachments

• jax finds.jpg
    jax finds.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 9,381
  • 14k.jpg
    14k.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 9,444
  • 14k_2.jpg
    14k_2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 9,526
Upvote 0

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
Re: MXT pays for itself (and then some)..... Lucky Day!!!

Very nice!! Had to feel good to know that the detector paid for itself in one outing!!! Keep up the good work!! :thumbsup:

desert dog

Oct 27, 2009
kingman az
Detector(s) used
new coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cool find

Attachments

• 777777.gif
    777777.gif
    59.6 KB · Views: 9,755
  • smilies%20(125).gif
    smilies%20(125).gif
    40.9 KB · Views: 9,388
  • a913b90e0d16656b6bd979f0cdd76ac4.gif
    a913b90e0d16656b6bd979f0cdd76ac4.gif
    32.7 KB · Views: 9,300
  • 777777.gif
    777777.gif
    59.6 KB · Views: 9,503
  • smilies%20(125).gif
    smilies%20(125).gif
    40.9 KB · Views: 9,396
  • a913b90e0d16656b6bd979f0cdd76ac4.gif
    a913b90e0d16656b6bd979f0cdd76ac4.gif
    32.7 KB · Views: 9,291

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

Outstanding work with the MXT there SS! nice going and hope you are doing well! HH.

Chuck.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet :headbang:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

that's a real nice payday

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Score! :thumbsup: Always check silvered colored jewelry. Sometimes it is 14k white gold!

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Verrrrrrry Niceeeeeeeeee!!!!
That is almost a $600 Gold Chain, if not more depending on what dealer would take it off your hands for.

Congratulations.

GOLD is GOODDDDDDDD!!!!!

Rob

T

TreasurdiggrNY

That gold chain is beast, congrats on an awesome find :thumbsup:

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...

That's one of the nicer gold chains I've seen come from a tot-lot :thumbsup:

With gold hovering around $1100-$1200, I've been hitting them too recently , and finally found a 14K gold crucifix :hello2:

hh,
Brian

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WaSaBi said:
Verrrrrrry Niceeeeeeeeee!!!!
That is almost a $600 Gold Chain, if not more depending on what dealer would take it off your hands for.

Congratulations.

GOLD is GOODDDDDDDD!!!!!

Rob
Thanks everyone, it will be hard to beat this find... I weighed it and then used a gold calculator, and at yesterdays spot it was worth $998.00, and that was 98% of spot, which is what ARAgold pays.... We will see what the actual value is when I send it in....
The calculator showed it as just under a troy ounce of pure gold in it.... I'm just so happy to know that in a short 3 1/2 months, my detector paid for itself....

Imnengr

Oct 31, 2009
Chicago Area
Detector(s) used
E-trac, X-terra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumright: Excellent chain! WTG.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations! I don't know why this is not banner worthy. I'm voting for it. :thumbsup:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, Machine paid 4 and then some from 1 gold chain!!! Maybe we aren't as crazy as I thoght we might be !! MaineRelic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread