My first "REAL" finds...

christophernixon

Nov 20, 2005
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
My first "REAL" finds...

I am pretty new to the hobby (only detected about 3 months) and I have enjoyed reading about and looking at all of your finds.? ?I have been looking only for Civil War relics and have found nothing except lots of square nail and a couple of bullets.? I had gotten to the point I was about ready to toss the MXT in the trash.

My wife suggested that we should look for coins today instead so we hit a local park.? As a result, I finally have something to post.? Nothing great, a total of 33 coins equalling a whopping $3.07 - the oldest thing we found was a 1961 nickel.?

Maybe my next post will have some civil war artifacts or silver.? Thanks guys for keeping me motivated to go out and keep digging.

Attachments

• 01-08-06.jpg
    01-08-06.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 536
Upvote 0
F

fishercz20

Re: My first "REAL" finds...

Hang in there. Its a life time hobby. You will find something soon. Good luck.

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York

coins are nice to practice on. gets you use to the machine

don't give up hope the good stuff will come.

Tim

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

Chris, You Can't Find CW Relics Every Time Out, Unless of Course , Your Name Happens to be TSGMAN!!!? ::)? ::) Best of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt...

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

At least you could get out,nice find's....it is very addicting !!!congrat's and HH!!

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Enjoy the hunt dig all your targets and the finds will come.

Kermit

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

I once was an avid fishermen. I learned that the big one takes the bait when you least expect it.

The same type of thing is true in THing. Just when you're about ready to quit for the day or you're daydreaming because you're bored--BAM! That's when that big find happens.

HH

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

WELCOME! I always figure that if I find enough change to replace my batteries its a good day. Its all about the thrill of the hunt. Keep it up and have fun! -Ben

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

There ya go! Nothing like coins to perk the attitude back up- just wait until you find a few unusual items, and then start wondering how in the heck THIS got THERE..... heheheheh. Keep at it, this hobby has tought me more patience than any other I know, except maybe Golf. I still haven't aquired THAT much patience, LOL!

Happy Hunting

Silverseeker

Nov 25, 2004
Indian Wells Valley, CA

Keep it up! It's perserverance that will get you the outstanding finds. Some lucky people find silver their first week detecting, but it took me 6 months before I found mine. It was a 1905 barber dime, and I really had to work hard for it. After that, however, I started finding more and more silver. Sometimes I would find multiple silvers in one outing.

That first 6 months, I was building skills and learning where to hunt. Just remember that your time will come, so don't give up.

lionhrt9

Dec 10, 2005
NW Indiana, there's silver in dem grounds!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab (Xterra50) and Garrett (Ace 250)<-Gone to dad in Montana

Keep up the hunt!

I am also new to this hobby and love it. I have not been relic hunting as im still learning the mach. But did come up with my first NON CLAD find this weekend. YEEEHAAAA, 1953D wheatie. My inlaws back yard will probably post it tonite. I also went through the process of, wow is this all im going to pull outta the ground. Just keep at it, i am also newly recharged!!!

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chris, nice going on the coins. As far as the CW stuff is concerned what part of the country are you from? I would reccomend you join a local club in your area if you have one. You might meet other relic hunters who might take you to some spots. If they do take you than you should repay them by doing some research and taking them to a new spot. If you can check your County history book you could get some clues from that. I think the old maps showing the roads will help also. Remember old roads, wood and water. The three ingredients to a Civil War Camp! Good luck. Tsgman

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
if and when...

if and when you decide to trash that mxt I'll take it off your hands.....lol......lol.....
now go back hit that place again and listen for some softer repeatable stuff and dig.....you'll get a merc...buffalo..a couple other goodies

www.theadventurelodge.com

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It takes some people a long time to find CW bullets. You should do very well! ;)

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II

Do not worry, your best and oldest finds are coming soon. They are not in a hurry to wait for you :)

HH

Sand

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Chris,

First off, learn your machine. That's is the most important thing you can do. A MXT is a good detector. A lot of relic hunters use them.

Second, do your research. Scour the library, history books, historical society. Talk to oldtimers and historians in your area.

Third, don't be impatient. Some of the hunters on this forum have been doing it for 20 or 30 years. They've paid their dues. I'm sure they've gotten skunked on many occasions.

Don't give up.

R

rvbvetter

Don't toss the detector. From the looks of all those coins, it's doing it's part in this partnership.
So that leaves only one thing. "RESEARCH" Good Luck HH

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.

rvbvetter said:
? ? ? ? Don't toss the detector. From the looks of all those coins, it's doing it's part in this partnership.
So that leaves only one thing.? ? "RESEARCH"? ? ? ? ? ? Good Luck? ? ? ? ? ? HH
I couldn't state it any better than this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread