Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great finds, WTG!!!
From what I can tell from the pic, they don't look familiar to me...
If possible you might try a little larger pic... Are they different colors?, or is that just the pic?
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
M

mblackburnjr

sorry for the bad pic,its from a scanner. Yes one is blue,one red and they say opa
blue 1 point.....kinda like that.The band-aid box looks about 60's vintage. poor shape.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are World War II rationing tokens called "red points" and "blue points" distributed by the Office of Price Administration or OPA as the token reads.

Rationing of certain goods was critical during WWII. When a person paid for items with rations stamps or coupons these vulcanized fiber tokens served as "change". Red tokens or coupons were used for meat, fish, dairy proucts and cooking oils, while blue ones were used for canned or otherwise processed food. They were manufactured in Cincinnati, OH. Their use was discontinued in Dec. 1944.

Over 1.1 billion reds were made and 900 million blues.
Most have a value of about 5?-10?, but all tokens have two-letter abbreviations on them denoting which dies were used in their manufacture. On the reds the "MV" is the rarest, valued at $50.

Gigisdiamonds

Mar 18, 2005
Kansas
;D ;D ;D I think its a AWESOME find!!! And welcome ...I've been lurking around here a few months and like in school may always feel like the newbie! But it sure is nice having others just starting out too! ;D Where did you find the bandaid box? A estate sell? I like to go to them when I see one.

HH Gigi

OP
OP
M

mblackburnjr

Wow! thanks for the info Immy! You da man! I never woulda thought of that. Funny that someone burried them. Oh well, i dreamed of finding a cache! ?:o ;)

OP
OP
M

mblackburnjr

No gigi. I actually found them w/ my detector. I was messing around at my moms and got a really high tone about 3 ft from porch. I thought "MAN, A SILVER DOLLAR! " Well under about 3" i found the old box. Its really rusty. The top broke off and the two tokens fell out.....And tonight i read that really oxidized metal will read high like silver. :D

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Jr!

Congrats and welcome to the forum!

;)

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome!

I'll bet there's an interesting story why they were buried. It's almost like a mini time capsule. I bet the burier never thought it would be dug up in 2006! Great find!

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the tokens ! And Immy that was some interesting info you gave on the tokens.

Huntin' 59er

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum, blackburn. That's a great find. I have a few myself so I was interested in learning more about them.

Keep on posting.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find's blackburn...maybe the next box will be that cache...thank's for the post and keep em' comin'....HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread