newbie w/ two unknown tokens
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

mblackburnjr

newbie w/ two unknown tokens

Hi all! I'm new to the site and love it. I found these tokens in an old band-aid box.Any clue as to what they are?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

us
    Jul 2004
    Indy
    Cz3d
    15 times

Re: newbie w/ two unknown tokens

Great finds, WTG!!!
    From what I can tell from the pic, they don't look familiar to me...
    If possible you might try a little larger pic... Are they different colors?, or is that just the pic?
    Good luck, & Happy hunting~

mblackburnjr

sorry for the bad pic,its from a scanner. Yes one is blue,one red and they say opa
    blue 1 point.....kinda like that.The band-aid box looks about 60's vintage. poor shape.

us
    Mar 2005
    Vegas
    316 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Those are World War II rationing tokens called "red points" and "blue points" distributed by the Office of Price Administration or OPA as the token reads.

Rationing of certain goods was critical during WWII. When a person paid for items with rations stamps or coupons these vulcanized fiber tokens served as "change". Red tokens or coupons were used for meat, fish, dairy proucts and cooking oils, while blue ones were used for canned or otherwise processed food. They were manufactured in Cincinnati, OH. Their use was discontinued in Dec. 1944.

Over 1.1 billion reds were made and 900 million blues.
    Most have a value of about 5?-10?, but all tokens have two-letter abbreviations on them denoting which dies were used in their manufacture. On the reds the "MV" is the rarest, valued at $50.
    Last appearance in pocket change:

Wheat penny: 1956-D (7/24/19)
    Silver: 1949-D quarter (8/9/19)

Mar 2005
    Kansas
    3 times

I think its a AWESOME find!!! And welcome ...I've been lurking around here a few months and like in school may always feel like the newbie! But it sure is nice having others just starting out too! Where did you find the bandaid box? A estate sell? I like to go to them when I see one.

HH Gigi
    I may not get out to hunt...but feel better having my ACE250...anyway!
    All good things comes to those who wait!

mblackburnjr

Wow! thanks for the info Immy! You da man! I never woulda thought of that. Funny that someone burried them. Oh well, i dreamed of finding a cache! ?

mblackburnjr

No gigi. I actually found them w/ my detector. I was messing around at my moms and got a really high tone about 3 ft from porch. I thought "MAN, A SILVER DOLLAR! " Well under about 3" i found the old box. Its really rusty. The top broke off and the two tokens fell out.....And tonight i read that really oxidized metal will read high like silver.

Nice finds Jr!

Congrats and welcome to the forum!

us
    Mar 2005
    Vegas
    316 times

You're welcome!

I'll bet there's an interesting story why they were buried. It's almost like a mini time capsule. I bet the burier never thought it would be dug up in 2006! Great find!
    Last appearance in pocket change:

Wheat penny: 1956-D (7/24/19)
    Silver: 1949-D quarter (8/9/19)

us
    Apr 2005
    Texas
    7 times

Congrats on the tokens ! And Immy that was some interesting info you gave on the tokens.

Huntin' 59er

Oct 2005
    Salem, Missouri
    16 times

Nice!
    By 2064, experts say man will have established twelve colonies on the sun, ideal for family vacations.

us
    Jan 2005
    Great Falls, Montana
    White's DFX & a Sunray probe
    31 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Welcome to the forum, blackburn. That's a great find. I have a few myself so I was interested in learning more about them.

Keep on posting.

us
    CS IS NEXT

Nov 2005
    PA-MD
    Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
    988 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Nice find's blackburn...maybe the next box will be that cache...thank's for the post and keep em' comin'....HH!!

Sponsored Links