A decent cellar hole/foundation

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Dan and I hunted a couple weeks ago. Per our usual methodology we were investigating potential cellar holes. We finally found a decent one:

Foundation.jpg

The first time there Dan concentrated more on an area that produced lots of wheats and a Mercury Dime for him. Here is what he found:

DansStuff.jpg

The second time back he concentrated more on the areas right around the old foundation. He found some neat stuff (sorry no pics).

Here are my finds for the two trips:

Some crusty wheats and an IH:

WheatsandIH.jpg

The IH is pretty beat up:
1902IH.jpg

Found a pill case?
Pillcontainer.jpg

An interesting “Brother” pin. Probably has some age to it.
Brotherpin.jpg

Back side:
BrotherPinback.jpg

An 1892 Thimble:
ThimblesideA.jpg

ThimblesideB.jpg

Some junk:
Junkoldstuff.jpg

A cool cheap old ring:
JuniorFireMarshall480.jpg

Ringsideways800.jpg

Dan and I kept finding these octagonal shaped tacks. We wondered what they were. Then I found one pounded into a piece of slate roofing. Also found a couple flat buttons:
ButtonsandSlate.jpg

Lastly, the other day I had to just do twenty minutes at the LC site after work. Found a wheat penny and this nice old little button:

SmallButtonbeforecleaning.jpg

Cleaned it up and it has some lettering on the back:
SmallGiuRicButton.jpg

I would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Good luck in your treasure hunting in 2010.

Bob
Meatfoundation.jpg

Upvote 0

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Very nice! Looks like you have found a real nice spot, good luck and keep the pics coming.

jeffmrgan

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
explorer se /whites xlt
i have found some of those roof tacks and i had no idea what they were either...thanks for the info

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During WWII there was something called, "Blue Star Mothers". They displayed a small red, white and blue banner in their windows. It had/has a blue star on it. No doubt there were pins also. It was to indicate a mother who had/has a child in the military.

You may have found a Blue Star Brother pin. That is a pin meant to be worn by someone who had a brother in the war.

Google Blue Star Mothers and you will see that they still exist.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Man that is a cool site. The stuff dug covers a wide range of years. The flat buttons in the pics date the early 1800's The backmarked ones 1820 or so. The first word on the back of the one button looks like rich. The backmark is probably Rich Gilt, but may be Rich Orange Gilt or Rich Gold Gilt. Just because the buttons are that old doesn't necessarily mean they were lost the long ago but digging more than one is a good indication that they were. I would hit that place hard.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somewhere in Ohio, an awesome site to hunt! The thimble with a date is cool, I haven't found one with a date. Great pictures and HH, Mike

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great spot you're on :thumbsup: Excellent mix of cool finds too WTG Love the blue star pin

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
That is a cool site to hunt. Nice finds as well. What? No snow in Ohio yet...... :icon_sunny: Congrats on the finds and no snow! jgas

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
great pics Bob.

Before, on the second trip there when you and Nate had to leave, I did forget to tell you that I also dug the exact same Junior Fire Marshal ring...and like yours it was close to the foundation (was in the area by the back entrance where I was excavating that strip)
Mine's in better shape :P

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice foundation hunt and great finds ... a dated silver thimble is kind of a rare find and pretty cool ... congratz on a nice outing! :icon_thumright:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking spot Bob.
Congrats to you & Dan on the finds. I hit an old property once that had a load of those octagonal tacks in the yard. It drove me nuts! :tongue3:
Happy holidays from Club Miner.
-Doug-

Attachments

• Mirage is The Man.jpg
    Mirage is The Man.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,367
  • Mirage is The Man.jpg
    Mirage is The Man.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,335

eggbag

Mar 17, 2008
Nice finds! I have dug that exact ring too. Its from The Hartford Fire Insurance Co. located in Hartford CT. If you look close on the bottom of the band you can see it. The Hartford is still in Hartford CT. and they still use a big buck deer for their logo.

vermonster

May 7, 2009
hootersville NY
Detector(s) used
whites prism IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:hello Thats a big foundation you've found there ,I love the colors on the brother pin
vermonster

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bob, did'nt know they had used them in slate roofs also, those tacks have driven me crazy at times. They use them in a tin metal roofing also that was on some of the better homes in the early 1900's. A lot of homes in my area still have this type of roof. A dead giveaway to an older home even if it's been vynled on the exterior. Nice finds and great pics!

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
INCREDIBLE FINDS!!! WAY TO GO

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Here's a picture of that brooch I found on that trip. I posted it in the What is it section. General thought based on the design is early Federal
DSCF2653.jpg

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That site must have had folks around for a LONG time with the variety of finds you all are digging. And all of them are super! :thumbsup: Great pictures as always. It's been a pleasure to read about your adventures over the years.

Merry Christmas, Bob! :icon_santa:

Nana :hello:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bob! Looks like you guys have been hunting some decent spots. :icon_thumright:

In one of your photos there appears to be a star button with a snake around the rim at first look. It is sitting next to a silver dime in the photo. If so it should have thirteen stars gaurded by a serpent, a very nice early political button with some collector value.

I missed not hunting with Nate and you this year, lets try for a couple of hunts in 2010.

Take care and Merry Christmas to you and Nate!

Steve Jones

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread