my first brass buttons..but would like an ID if poss.

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
Hi all and merry xmas. I dug these eight inches deep in a dirt floor of an old whare (hut) that the soldiers of our colonial war period (1860 to 1887) made out of punga tree fern and thatch roofs, while the officers had theres made out of timber and iron roofs..anyway, nothing left at all there now but remenants of old fireplaces set into banks and overgrown with blackberry (bramble) forgotten by time and in most cases our local historians, I hunted the dirt floors (spooky as ) and found the normal square head nails,.brass lace clips of boots,old padlocks, nothing really but I bought these back as they are the first buttons I have found that I think link with this era...they are only about 3/4 of an inch in diameter and made of brass, one has embossing on and letters I cant make out as I didnt want to over clean, they should be british at a guess,,but there are experts on this forum that will know for sure..thanks in advance for any help..cheers des ps (pics arn't that good hence my prior post)

Attachments

• DSCF0001_edited.JPG
    DSCF0001_edited.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 594
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Des from down under

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
UNDERWEAR BUTTONS.!!!!..YIKES..oh well!!! tunic ones are the ones i am yet to find...bugga !!!c'mon father xmas...move it!!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, definitely underwear buttons but unlike any that I've found here in Virginia

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dman said:
Looks like underwear buttons.

they were also used on trousers & shirts.

I would date them from either side of 1900

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Des, your five hole button seems to date from 1885, right in the time period of your site. It's a neat find, particularly coming from your neck of the woods which had such rough and tumble history back in those days!. http://news.google.com/patents/about?id=cChLAAAAEBAJ

OP
OP
Des from down under

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
thanks guys..heh, how do you highlight a paticular response and reply like a lot of you do ??cant seem to make it work ..

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Des from down under said:
thanks guys..heh, how do you highlight a paticular response and reply like a lot of you do ??cant seem to make it work ..

Press 'Quote' in the top right of the responders post. (is that what you mean?)

Or this by left clicking & dragging your mouse over a reply or word. Then press the hightlighted 'G' or Glow Icon above.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread