Rings, Bullet, coins and things!!!

FoxRox

Dec 28, 2005
Lexington, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/Shadow X-5...Bullseye pinpointer
Hello from Ky. and I'm trying a picture for the first time. ??? ?I found these items over a few days of detecting at a couple of older homes in the area. ?The elephant is actually an old bottle opener. ?The knife has no discernable lettering to identify it. ?The handle of it is bone. ?Of course most of us with some time in the field have probably seen a few of the round makeup containers. ?The class ring is 10K, class of 1966. ?It is from Bedford? ?Anyone with a little knowledge of this emblem could be a real help :). ?It has no initials to identify its owner. ?The far right ring says sterling and looks like a wedding band. ?The middle left ring is a child's silver ring and the other is a small 10K ring with three tiny diamonds (my 1st diamonds). ?The Jefferson nickel is a 44 silver war nickel (P). ?The V nickel is 1899 (my first) and has great detail. ?The Buffalo is 1918 and also my first. ?The Shield is an 1867 with rays. ?The 1853 Seated liberty dime (grades fine to very fine), the 1927 Mercury dime and the 69 caliber civil war bullet were all within 10 feet of each other. ?Four other dropped bullets 3-3 ringers and 1 cleaner were also very close and were found by a buddy. ?This yard is very close to the railroad tracks and just a few miles from Camp Nelson so it is our thinking that some soldiers may have camped there and used the powder from the bullets to start their fire. ?A small ring is carved around the top of the bullet. ?The 1929 Stone Mountain commemorative half dollar (grades extra fine) was a huge surprise and the 1944 Walking Liberty half was a great bonus from a very small yard. ?These have been over the past year. ?The nickels I've found look better if I touch them up with a small steel wool scrubbing. ?With the corrosion, they won't grade well anyway. ?Would a scanner or digital camera get the best results for display? ?This pic. is from a camera. ?Some other pictures didn't come out this well. ?

Attachments

• IMG00008.jpg
    IMG00008.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 344
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find's there FoxRox,kinda like that elephant bottle opener..sorry ,can't help with the ring.Congrat's and HH!!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds!

I wish I could find some of that stuff.

Keep it up

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that some people don't find that much in a year. Nice finds and congrats. Love that W Lib. !! HH Burdie

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Really nice finds FoxRox! (hint of underlying jealousy showing). I see it looks like you are using incandescent lighting (table lamp type). If your camera has a flash, it might help. If not, try taking a pic outside in the sunlight- think you might be suprised. Try in direct sun and in a bit of shade.
BTW, I wouldn't use steel wool on any coin. Check under the heading of Cleaning and Preservation 1st.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really great finds Rox!

And stoney is right about the sunlight being the best lighting...

Keep those finds coming!

;)

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats FoxRox on some nice history you've dug there. Thanks for sharing.

Huntin' 59er

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Wow, you have some great finds there! That elephant is cool. Finding a seated coin raises you to a higher status in my book. :) Also would love to see a better close up of the coins.

A scanner will give you a good close up - pretty simple and foolproof. A digital camera with a nice 250 -500 Watt halogen light will produce very good pictures. Here is a good link for photographing coins:

http://dirtjournal.com/tutorials.php#photographing

Bob

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread