JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
1800's Era Brooch Pin With 25 Stones

Hey everyone, Me and my son got out today for a couple hrs. We went to the cellar holes I am detecting right now. It was slow to start but then 3 ft off the base of a huge pine I got a good solid signal in the 60's on the dfx. I dig down 6 inches and in the pile of dirt I picked up this large brooch with a big blue stone in the middle. These types of relics excite me when they come up. The stuff you don't see every day is what I hunt for.

It is made of pewter and has a gold gilding on it. I would say it is from the 1830's or 40's. It is fully in tacked with pin and all. I got it cleaned up pretty good. But anyone who has cleaned this type of alloy knows it likes to crumble. You have to be real gentle with it.

I got 2 wheat's and a nice flat button with shank. It was nice to get out. I have been in for ten days and didn't get out over the weekend due to family gatherings. The weather here this week is in the mid forties and low 50's. Great weather for detecting.

Thanks for looking

HH Jeremy

Attachments

• 1800\'s era brooch.jpg
    1800\'s era brooch.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 421
  • 1800\'s era brooch back.jpg
    1800\'s era brooch back.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 413
Upvote 0

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1800's Era Brooch Pin With 25 Stones

Wow!

If I saw that come out of the ground, it would have raised my pulse rate considerably! WTG!

I know what you mean about pewter. The only military belt plate I've ever dug was a War of 1812 Light Dragoons plate, and if it had been brass, it would've been nice, but the pewter was all flaky and the plate was bent. Still super rare, though.

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Thanks for the replies. When I first found it I was like wow to my son. I said look at this Jake. He's 4 and he liked it to. All we could see was that big blue stone in the middle. Everyone who has dug a ring before knows how a stone looks in the dirt. They look really nice for some reason. I don't know if that is due to looking at dirt for while and then all the sudden you see a gem or gold. I didn't even know it had all the other stones in it.

I did some research and those types of pin backs go back the the mid 1800's. I have other one's like this from the 20's 30's and up and they are made of alot more solid alloy. Like brass or copper or gold or silver. This one is pewter I'm almost certain of it with a gold gilding. That type of stuff is found in early silver ware and buttons. So I was just taking a good guess that it is from 1850 to 1900.

Weather I fully get it identified it was still fun to find it. It has no makers mark so I couldn't research it. I should have did a before and after pic to show you guys how it looked and how much oxidation was on this before I cleaned it. I have a 4 step cleaning process for items like this. And in some cases I can get stuff looking new. So sure it could look like it's from the 50's after that.

Thanks again all

HH Jer

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It sure looks Victorian to me. And since the Victorian era spanned 1837 to 1901, "Victorian" in this context could certainly mean mid-1800's. I personally would've guessed the later 1800's, but I know little on this subject and it would have been just that- a guess.

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc

:o :o nice brooch way to go very well preserved considerig that it came out of the ground...was the area a picnic grounds way back when?

HH Vrent

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread