1824 Large Cent (to end 2009) and other finds including a ODD Whats it?

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large Cent (to end 2009) and other finds including a ODD Whats it?

Well, I got out again as my metal detecting blood was up because I hadn't got out in THREE DAYS :o So I went digging in one of the spots I pulled two coins out a couple weeks ago and after about 15 minutes, out popped another. I couldn't tell if it was a Colonial copper or not out there but when I got it home and cleaned it up a bit I discovered that its a 1824 Matron Head Large Cent. I also dug a real pretty (the photo doesn't do it justice) colonial shoe buckle that has the deepest blue green patina that I've seen on one. Also got a brass thimble, a few buttons including 2 full size tombac buttons and 1 cuff tombac with shank, another odd button, a pewter spoon and a couple pieces of iron.

Now, I have been digging quite awhile and usually have no problem identifying anything from a housesite or campsite or battlefield, truth be told I usually am the one doing the identifying of finds for my friends, but I have TWO Whats its here; but one is more so than the other:

The first, if you look at the top of the photo, is a long, thin square shaped brass wire with a wish bone shape on one end and a hole through the other end. This thing gave me the type of signal you get with bobed wire...a good one than a bad one....and it was about 7 inches deep so it was tough to find but I finally did :P At first I thought maybe the arm to an umbrella but I quickly disposed of that idea as it would've need to fold up and this is one solid piece. The only way is if there was another brass object similar to it, that attached to it and it has subsequently fallen off BUT if it isn't from an umbrella than my mind wanders about what it could be. Its only a little thicker than a coat hanger with a squared profile and definitely received something on either end.

The second is the silver piece of jewelry? Now this quite surprised me as this was a very old colonial site that I was digging and there isn't really any modern items found there and this seems to be possibly something from modern day......it may indeed be old but I cannot discount the chance that it may have been something a hunter lost but I would almost fail to see what someone hunting deer would be doing with an object of this nature.....

Thanks for looking :wink: :wink: :wink:

Out of the ground as I put it into my bottle. Notice it is still damp from the moisture it stored within the container that I put it into.
12-26-2009 Finds 007.jpg

12-26-2009 Finds 008.jpg

Brass rod Whats it?
Large Cent 004.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

Re: 1824 Large Cent and other finds including a ODD Whats it?

Nice LC :headbang: That's what I like to see... Haven't gotten one of those badboys in a couple months :laughing9:

txpathfinder

Feb 4, 2008
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Good post, interesting items. I would like to see the items cleaned up a little. Will you post another photo.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

I love the largie, bro! You are a digging machine, Josh! :notworthy:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice hunt :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

umrgolf2000 said:
Nice LC :headbang: That's what I like to see... Haven't gotten one of those badboys in a couple months :laughing9:

Thanks Jeff :icon_thumleft: :wink:

KylePA said:
I love the largie, bro! You are a digging machine, Josh! :notworthy:
Kyle, you know me....I start to get alittle CRAZY :tongue3: if I haven't put a shovel to dirt in more than 2 or 2 days! Appreciate it brutha :wink:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeeze another guy digging oldies! This is starting to get painful. ;D

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Great way to end the year! The LC looks like a real beauty, and the other finds are amazing as well.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Josh,
Another great hunt. Congrats on that LC. Very nice. :icon_thumleft: I have no idea on the long thin piece? :dontknow:
Hopefully you can get an ID on both items,
Dug

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno. Maybe the little silver piece is part of a necklace? Seems I remember my G'mom having a beaded necklace and at the ends, there was a big fat bead and it sat in the little cup looking silver thing. :dontknow: That's some terrific finds, tho, Senti! I'm gonna find me one of those LC's one day. I just know it...maybe in NC? :tongue3: :wink:

Nana :wink:

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
ya got me thinking on the whats it wire thingy! ouch hold on the brain hurts :-\ at one of my colonial sites were i found my hibernia and a king george i had a signal this year had to be 9 inches and i came across a wire thingy like that but had to fill in the hole and leave because i was late for something and never went back to it. i guess in spring i will check it out. gonna try to get one more copper this year. congrats on yours. willy

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Great way to end the year! The LC looks like a real beauty, and the other finds are amazing as well.

Thanks Neil its always nice to end the year with a copper :wink: :icon_thumleft:

ModernMiner said:
Josh,
Another great hunt. Congrats on that LC. Very nice. :icon_thumleft: I have no idea on the long thin piece? :dontknow:
Hopefully you can get an ID on both items,
Dug
Thanks Doug. I am really stumped on the brass rod :icon_scratch: Im sure its old but still can't think what it might have gone to

Nana40 said:
I dunno. Maybe the little silver piece is part of a necklace? Seems I remember my G'mom having a beaded necklace and at the ends, there was a big fat bead and it sat in the little cup looking silver thing. :dontknow: That's some terrific finds, tho, Senti! I'm gonna find me one of those LC's one day. I just know it...maybe in NC? :tongue3: :wink:

Nana :wink:

HAHA You have a nack for that North Carolina stuff :wink: :wink: Thank Nana, you WILL find one it is just a matter of time, with your dedication, I'm sure it won't be too long either :wink:

dfx willy said:
ya got me thinking on the whats it wire thingy! ouch hold on the brain hurts :-\ at one of my colonial sites were i found my hibernia and a king george i had a signal this year had to be 9 inches and i came across a wire thingy like that but had to fill in the hole and leave because i was late for something and never went back to it. i guess in spring i will check it out. gonna try to get one more copper this year. congrats on yours. willy

Cool, I would definitely like to see it if you do go back and dig it up because this is definitely an oddball find :wink:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Josh,

That knee buckle is awesome! I get excited over any shoe or knee buckle relic. Heck, it doesn't even have to be intact.

Oh, that copper is mighty fine, too. :headbang:

Kirk

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice copper and buckle! Looks like you had a awesome day.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Congrats on the large cent. The long brass piece could be the handle to a candle snuffer with the snuffer part missing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread