Site Still Producing Old Coins

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I left work early yesterday and started hunting on the back of the property line again at my parents house, where the tavern used to be. It was a slow start...I found a wheat penny, then another wheat. I then dug an 1867 Shield Nickle (w/o rays). I thought it was another penny with the color it had turned. I also found an old toy cannon (german 88?) that I probably lost as a kid and some pieces of pottery. I searched around the same places that I had heard weaker sounds before (but not dug)...I ended up digging another Large Cent...1848...this is now the oldest coin I have dug so far and the 2nd large cent (1852) at this site. I also dug an indian head that is badly corroded and does not have a date. It was dark now and I was searching by car head lights and a lantern again. I dug 3 more wheats and thes best was the last dig of the night. I told myself I would dig one more hole (it was 9:30pm by this time) and out popped a 1911 D Barber Quarter.

I looked up the 1911 D Barber on the PCGS website http://www.pcgs.com/prices/ and the "D" version is worth the most. In good condition $6, Fine$79 and EF $295. Any thought as to what this Barber may be graded at.

Total haul for yesterday/night:

5 Wheats (192?), (1919), (1928), (1912), (1902(?))
1 Indian Head, no date
1 Shield Nickle (1867)
1 Large Cent (1848)
1 1911 D Barber Quarter

Thanks for looking.

Daniel

Attachments

• 1848large2frt.JPG
    1848large2frt.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 409
  • 1848lrrrev.JPG
    1848lrrrev.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 401
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
More Pics:

Attachments

• Barber25frt.JPG
    Barber25frt.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 405
  • Barber25rev.JPG
    Barber25rev.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 402
  • Shieldfrt.JPG
    Shieldfrt.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 398
  • misc.JPG
    misc.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 400

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great coins Daniel. I don't know anything about grading coins but the Barber looks to be in very good condition.

HH,

Kent

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
? ? ? ?Ouch.? Looks like some fresh scratches on the quarter. I don't think that will help the value any. I finally replaced my screwdriver with an actual coin probe. As careful as I tried to be, now and again I'd scratch a coin. Hasn't stopped raining since I got the probe so don't know yet if it will make any difference.
But great finds. Really like the cannon!

Z

ZumbroKid

Nice finds, the quarter is G grade as i see it, also the large cent is the better find, as i see it.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds Daniel. That large cent could use a peroxide bath. It looks like it would turn out nice. I bet there is alot more around that place. The quarter would grade good. Be very careful with your silver coins. They scratch easily and it hurts there value. Don't rub any dirt off of them in the field. That's what scratches them.

Keep up the good work there. Dig all beeps and overlap your swings alot. Keep us posted on what you find there.

Good Luck Jer

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU ARE THE MAN, BESIDE THE MAN

Attachments

• worship.gif
    worship.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 330

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daniel,
You had a good hunt. The pictures are fine. You have an excellent site there. A guy in my club has an older site he hunts often. He gets a few old coins and relics to enter in finds of the month then he leaves it alone for another month. He has been there more than a couple of dozen times. Remember no one finds everything and conditions change.

Ed Donovan

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
I would double check the dates on the Wheats. If the one you marked as 192? is 1922, you have yourself a nice find. Also the wheat you marked as 1902? can't be 1902 as wheat cents were first minted in 1909.
Great finds!!!!!

OP
OP
D

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
skane said:
I would double check the dates on the Wheats.? If the one you marked as 192? is 1922, you have yourself a nice find.? Also the wheat you marked as 1902? can't be 1902 as wheat cents were first minted in 1909.
Great finds!!!!!

You're right, the one I marked 1902(?)the last 2 digits are pretty hard to read...it maybe 1909. On the 192? I can't read the last digit...there is come corrosion covering it up; some cleaning may help. Thanks

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent. And to think you grew up there and probably didn't think of what was beneath your feet.

That does it! I'm going to find my own tavern to hunt. You guys are making me very jealous.

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you're makin' me jealous! :o

GO! GO! GO! DIG SOME MORE COOL STUFF!!!

If I had access to a site like that, it would look like a World War I battlefield when I got done with it. ;)

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Nice finds! A couple of suggestions- forget probing on this site, unless its a well manicured lawn. Dig around and under your target, then scoop it out. I think the finds warrant this to keep the scratching down. and use olive oil on the coppers, soak 'em good for a couple days. Then use a toothpick and a magnifying glass the clean the dirt out from the crevices. Be gentle. I've had good luck with this.

Great site you have there! Keep at it! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread