Actually yesterdays finds....

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks. My first time out yesterday as I just received my newly purchased GTAx-550. I was quite impressed, and a little...or a lit lucky as well. *hahah* I'm hooked. I got out for an hour but the mosquitos here in Kingston were nuts!!! There was so much trash on this site I found I was getting 3 or 4 signals per sweep. Most of them were junk and erratic. So I started digging only solid hits. Here is what I came up with. The first two things I landed were these two large bullets! One is 1" long and 9/16ths across. The other is about 3/4 of an inch and the same width. They both appear to have been fired and are very heavy lead. Semi Hollow bottoms and hollow tips. I have no clue how old these are!? I guess not too old as they aren't musketballs!? I pressed on and dug up the other piece at 3" deep. It gave me a 50 cent piece reading. It's what looks to be a medal of some sort. It's a little rough, but that is to be expected. It says "Overseas Contingent- Allies War 1915 (I think)" In the center it looks like there is a person standing with either their arms crossed in front of them, or some sort of belts from a military uniform. On all the points there are symbols. The ones I can make out are as follows 1) 2 swords crossed 2)Two rifles crossed 3)A larg Horn 4)An Anchor 5)can't tell...two things crossed Sorry for ranting. I'm excited! *hahah* Anyhow, it measures 1.5" x 1.5"Any thoughts!? I've attached a link.

http://webhost.pixpo.com/WebPresence/?id=98535D0CC0A8FE1501BF13A1B9BD3DB8

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not knowing anything about the kind of soil you're in, or the type of metal, I'd say it looks like its been buried long enough to qualify as a WWII medal. Don't know anything about the pattern. Maybe you could do a search on Ebay? Great first find! Keep going, and good luck!

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Nice going Wess. Great first finds. I think that the medal is from WW I, but I am not sure. The bullets look as if they are from around the civil war to possibly the 1880's judging from the size. Great going, You are definately hooked now...Lance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread