Found a rivet with a five point star on it from Texas site.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• Rivet with five point star. (2).jpg
    Rivet with five point star. (2).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,603
  • Rivet with five point star..jpg
    Rivet with five point star..jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,391
Upvote 3
OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really can't tell, but it looks like maybe brass. It does have some green deposits on it, but from looking at the metal it's red looking. Got Me.....

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen knapsack rivets with the star like that on them. They are fairly rare though. Cool rivet :wink:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironman on here has found quite a few of those rivets far from Texas,in 1860 sites :thumbsup:

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its civil war period knapsack rivit used in the union side of the civil war

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how do you explain so many of the showing up a thousand miles from any Civil War activity,in large amounts?

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes after the war they where often sold to civilians as momrabelia great for carrying things

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find Boyce, I found a couple like that without the star though in the Calvert, TX area.

Rick

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fisher2 said:
yes after the war they where often sold to civilians as momrabelia great for carrying things
They were used on horse tack

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
kuger said:
fisher2 said:
:icon_thumright:

I think they may have been used on field packs too. We find them in both civil war camps and house sites
I think the one with the stars were made by a company called Storm Storm made some of the 2 piece US buckles and other items and some are marked.

OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys. This is a first for me. The civil was wasn't all that far from here. A lot went on up, and down the Texas coast. I've found some CW relics here where I hunt. Some of the old folks that use to live her were involved in the war. They had left over relics I'm sure.
Rick it was good to hear from you. Hope I get to see ya'll again soon.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vayank54 said:
kuger said:
fisher2 said:
:icon_thumright:

I think they may have been used on field packs too. We find them in both civil war camps and house sites
I think the one with the stars were made by a company called Storm Storm made some of the 2 piece US buckles and other items and some are marked.
Interesting,I apologize if I came off wrong its just odd that the sites we dig them,nothing else(knapsack hardware)shows up?Usually just plain rivets and other horse tack related stuff? :dontknow:

Elliott Ness

Dec 1, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac / Garett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the one I found this year. It was my first as well. It was a pretty neat find and was found near the battle of Monocacy here in Maryland. Great find my friend, and I can only hope that you can dig up some more. HH

E-Ness

Attachments

• CIMG2569.JPG
    CIMG2569.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,233
  • CIMG2569.JPG
    CIMG2569.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,080

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice find. Probably sold as army surplus after the Civil War.

OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do appreciate all the comments from everyone. That's what makes this forum so great. Everyone can voice their opinion. You've all let me know something I didn't know. Thanks friends...

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I love finding those. I find quite a few at old home sites. Most are plain, but when you find one with a star it makes you feel good about the site. :icon_sunny:

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
thrillathahunt said:
Cool find Boyce, I found a couple like that without the star though in the Calvert, TX area.

Rick

Ditto, and Im thinking period, but civilian

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find a good many pack rivets at my mid-1800s home sites here in Kentucky. Some of them have had the star on them. That's a nice, civilian, horse tack piece.

Cheers,

Buckles

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
I find a good many pack rivets at my mid-1800s home sites here in Kentucky. Some of them have had the star on them. That's a nice, civilian, horse tack piece.

Cheers

Buckles
:icon_scratch: ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread