Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, Happy New Year. We had a few thunderstorms last nite, nothing like rain on a hot summers nite. I got late and decided to out to the local mine sites.I decided to work the tracks that the ore dray used to take ore to the nearest crushing batteries.Well i got about 7.1 grams in 3 hours. ;D ;D

In the years of the first hard rock gold mines 1855-1867 most small claims and mines didn,t have the resources to crush the quartz and hard rock ore.The larger more rich claims and mines put in crushing batteries at great expence. To help reduce costs the larger claims would crush ore for the smaller claims at a price.Small % per ton.With only mine with cruchers per 50 mines and small claims the larger mines became quite rich. Mostly in the early days the ore was taken by open dray [wagon] to the crushers.There was no main road so the dray tracks were rough and bumpy and it was not uncommon for small pieces of ore to drop out.

because the dray tacks were made the most direct route to the batteries they often crossed on too other claims.The miners had little worry about passing wagons but objected to people who treid to pick ore drops on the track. Often a fight would break our between the claim holder and the dray drivers . So to speck sweep or remove ore became a offence under the Mining ACT.If one was caught doing as such would be arrested and locked up untill the country judge came to town.

Heres a few old pics of dray wagons from small claims to the middle size claims to the larger mines with crushing batteries and the site today.

tinpan

Attachments

• S7301482.JPG
    S7301482.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,017
  • S7301483.JPG
    S7301483.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 1,033
  • S7301487.JPG
    S7301487.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 1,008
  • S7301485.JPG
    S7301485.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,019
  • S7301326.JPG
    S7301326.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,017
  • S7301322.JPG
    S7301322.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,006
Upvote 0

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Wow thanks for the great history lesson and nice finds.

thanks for sharing

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
I agree.. Thanks for the info and the cool neat pictures. The one with the slope almost looks like the old pic with the snowy slope.
HH & better luck in 2010

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knightwalker said:
I agree.. Thanks for the info and the cool neat pictures. The one with the slope almost looks like the old pic with the snowy slope.
HH & better luck in 2010

Thanks for the reply Tradional Alluvial Gold Mining and the Victoria Era Steam powered mining existed at the same time and was still used untill the end of WW1

tinpan

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Happy New Year mate! Good start :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Happy New Year mate! Good start :icon_thumleft:

Thanks shaun shame you have endure a cold winter and some snow too. So your start to the new will be soon i hope. I will be waiting for you great finds. :o :o :o

tinpan

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A great start to the New Year by looking at gold. Have a great season Tinpan :icon_thumright:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great way to start the New Year, Tinpan. And a great great hint to all those that are hunting for the yellow stuff.......me, too.
I know where the Japanese mined gold here in S. Korea. Just never thought about looking along the road from the mine to the smelter. I'm going to have to try my hand at that. I'll owe you some, bud, if I find any......and if not, I'll still owe you....for the excitement of the hunt. :thumbsup: Always enjoy your history lesson/finds. hikein(Korean)mts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread