1788 2.5 reales

U

umrgolf

As KylePA would probably put it, I put on my colonial thinking cap today. :laughing9: I ventured back to the site that produced the bent 1789 one reale after work. That coin had come from a soybean field adjacent to this real old house on the property. Nowthis house was built in the 1780's and the owner had told me before I couldn't go in the yard on previous attempts. So today, I met the owner's son and he said 'sure go ahead, dad won't mind' ??? I told him dad had already turned me down so he went and asked. I had one hour of daylight and these are the finds. Before I go, I will say this.. It is one thing to dig these type of coins in a field but is very surreal digging them right next to a house that was built in the same decade. (these coins were about 30 feet apart) Hopefully I'll have a similar post this weekend :thumbsup: Enjoy! HH Jeff
NEW PICS BELOW (6th and 7th down) ;D

UPDATE... just got off the phone with my diggin buddy, the 1/2 reale appears to be a Lima, Peru mintmark (M overlapping an E) definately not a mexico mint like the 2 reale .. any of the spanish experts out there feel free to pitch in ur 2 cents.. always willing to learn something new

1788 1/2 reale & 1788 2 reale uncleaned

uncleaned.jpg

cleaned front

1788 2 1:2 reales.jpg

and cleaned back

1788 2 1:2 back .jpg

buttons (love the big tombac :headbang: )

buttons.jpg

couple odd lead bullets, a musketball, and a buckle piece

misc.jpg

Attachments

• 1788 2.5 front .jpg
    1788 2.5 front .jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3,740
  • 1788 2.5.jpg
    1788 2.5.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 3,688
Upvote 0

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go!! That first photo really got me pumped up. I cannot imagine what it feels like to find colonial silver. Good luck on your return trip, maybe there is more to find.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1788 2 1/2 reales

KylePA said:
Jeff, I can tell that your Colonial thinking cap was on today! :laughing9: Those Colonial silvers are what dreams are made of! I live for the moment when a silver coin reveals itself in a sloppy field of any crop variety. :laughing9:

Jeff, get back to that house, dig, dig, dig, and flip dirt around like a maniac until nothing else remains and that includes dirt, too. :laughing9: We all know there will be more silvers and other coinage of the Colonial essence to be found there!

Kyle

I remember many days that you, Kirk, and I have had homerun days like this in the past 5 years of being on TreasureNet and Jeff you Hammered it, you had one of those John Walters kind of days my friend! :icon_thumleft: :wink: Heck of a day anytime you get a nice Spanish Silver, especially two :wink: Was the ground frozen out your way? I was thinking about going out today also but was concerned the ground might be alittle frozen my way......Congrats on that pretty silver man :wink: :wink: :wink:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful finds. Absolutely Beautiful!

You should not be allowed to dig such great finds there when it is 5 above zero here. >:(

-Buck

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

garthbfan169 said:
Very nice finds urmgolf. Congrats on the finds!! :thumbsup: :notworthy:

Thanks garth

terpfan said:
Way to go!! That first photo really got me pumped up. I cannot imagine what it feels like to find colonial silver. Good luck on your return trip, maybe there is more to find.

Thanks terp, Im glad u liked the dirty pic.. never taken one of those before :icon_thumleft:

Dman said:
Way to go. Nice coins

thanks Dman :)

{Sentinel} said:
KylePA said:
Jeff, I can tell that your Colonial thinking cap was on today! :laughing9: Those Colonial silvers are what dreams are made of! I live for the moment when a silver coin reveals itself in a sloppy field of any crop variety. :laughing9:

Jeff, get back to that house, dig, dig, dig, and flip dirt around like a maniac until nothing else remains and that includes dirt, too. :laughing9: We all know there will be more silvers and other coinage of the Colonial essence to be found there!

Kyle

I remember many days that you, Kirk, and I have had homerun days like this in the past 5 years of being on TreasureNet and Jeff you Hammered it, you had one of those John Walters kind of days my friend! :icon_thumleft: :wink: Heck of a day anytime you get a nice Spanish Silver, especially two :wink: Was the ground frozen out your way? I was thinking about going out today also but was concerned the ground might be alittle frozen my way......Congrats on that pretty silver man :wink: :wink: :wink:

Thanks Josh... John Walters ??? The ground was frozen in spots, each dig was bout 50/50 chance it seemed

BuckleBoy said:

You should not be allowed to dig such great finds there when it is 5 above zero here. >:(

-Buck

Thanks BB, I shouldn't be out there digging at all :laughing7: but we had a high of 42 yesterday plus I'm about to lose an arm to surgery.. had to dig :laughing9:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

dfx willy said:
nice detail on the spanish silver. willy

thanks willy, they do have a lot of detail just a lil discolored

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
Thats an amazing find. I hope you find more silver over there. :)

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Trond said:
Thats an amazing find. I hope you find more silver over there. :)

thanks, didn't have time to really even scratch the surface out there yet.. Should be more

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
yes sar, very good finds.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, indeed!! You are going to make some more nice finds in that field. :thumbsup:
Dale

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, I love the coins! :icon_thumleft:

Steve

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
Thanks BB, I shouldn't be out there digging at all :laughing7: but we had a high of 42 yesterday plus I'm about to lose an arm to surgery.. had to dig :laughing9:

42 is good digging weather. :headbang: It's the 25 degree high temps that I can do without. :wink:

-Buck

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
garthbfan169 said:
Very nice finds urmgolf. Congrats on the finds!! :thumbsup: :notworthy:

Thanks garth

terpfan said:

Thanks terp, Im glad u liked the dirty pic.. never taken one of those before :icon_thumleft:

Dman said:
Way to go. Nice coins

thanks Dman :)

{Sentinel} said:
KylePA said:

Kyle

Thanks Josh... John Walters ??? The ground was frozen in spots, each dig was bout 50/50 chance it seemed

BuckleBoy said:

-Buck

LoL.....Ask Kirk or Kyle or Chris about John Walters :wink:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Ia.FurTrade said:
Very nice, indeed!! You are going to make some more nice finds in that field. :thumbsup:
Dale

Thanks Dale, that's what I'm thinking too :icon_thumleft: have a bunch more to cover

Goldiver said:
Very nice, I love the coins! :icon_thumleft:

Steve

Thanks Steve, hope 2010 keeps goin this way :laughing7:

Neil in West Jersey said:
Were you using a Pneumatic Drill to get through the icy soil?

diggin wasnt too bad actually :icon_pirat:

BuckleBoy said:
umrgolf2000 said:

42 is good digging weather. :headbang: It's the 25 degree high temps that I can do without. :wink:

-Buck

Ya 25 stinks, that means u need an ice pick to dig

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread