1788 2.5 reales

U

umrgolf

As KylePA would probably put it, I put on my colonial thinking cap today. :laughing9: I ventured back to the site that produced the bent 1789 one reale after work. That coin had come from a soybean field adjacent to this real old house on the property. Nowthis house was built in the 1780's and the owner had told me before I couldn't go in the yard on previous attempts. So today, I met the owner's son and he said 'sure go ahead, dad won't mind' ??? I told him dad had already turned me down so he went and asked. I had one hour of daylight and these are the finds. Before I go, I will say this.. It is one thing to dig these type of coins in a field but is very surreal digging them right next to a house that was built in the same decade. (these coins were about 30 feet apart) Hopefully I'll have a similar post this weekend :thumbsup: Enjoy! HH Jeff
NEW PICS BELOW (6th and 7th down) ;D

UPDATE... just got off the phone with my diggin buddy, the 1/2 reale appears to be a Lima, Peru mintmark (M overlapping an E) definately not a mexico mint like the 2 reale .. any of the spanish experts out there feel free to pitch in ur 2 cents.. always willing to learn something new

1788 1/2 reale & 1788 2 reale uncleaned

uncleaned.jpg

cleaned front

1788 2 1:2 reales.jpg

and cleaned back

1788 2 1:2 back .jpg

buttons (love the big tombac :headbang: )

buttons.jpg

couple odd lead bullets, a musketball, and a buckle piece

misc.jpg

Attachments

• 1788 2.5 front .jpg
    1788 2.5 front .jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3,741
  • 1788 2.5.jpg
    1788 2.5.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 3,689
Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Brian(upstateNY-Central Fla.) said:
:hello2: wtg Jeff,fantastic finds there :thumbsup:
Hope ya get a return trip back there too ;D

Return trip is a done deal. Talked to the owner before I left... I'm gonna give 'er hell :thumbsup:

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
John Walter-That wouldn't be the Viking like, colonial-or-nothing-dude would it?

By the way,very nice reales :thumbsup:. I can't seem get over one of those 2's :(

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the way to start 2010! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: I was hoping for a coin to get me started but it will come in time.Lot of year to go :laughing9: Keep popping them old spanish :thumbsup: Hope you get over you arm deal quick! :hello:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

cliff dfx said:
wto on the 2,1 reale go back dig and dig love them colonial coins :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Thanks Cliff.. I'll be there in the AM :thumbsup:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Re: 1788 2.5 reales (New Pics added)

artzstuff1 said:
Thats real nice there!!

great find for sure

arthur

Thanks art, happy 2010 ;D

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

they are awesome Jeff!!!

That's a nice hunt! I can feel the rush you must of had diggin' next to that old place. Pretty sweet.
I hope there is no problem for a return hunt. I'd go nuts if he said no again after that taste you just had.
Looking forward to more of your posts.
Dave.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like a perfect way to start 2010! Congrats on those wonderful relics! :hello2: :icon_thumright:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's the way to do it...go big or go home!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the great finds and making the banner. :thumbsup: Pretty exciting starting a new site with finds like that, makes you wonder what else is waiting there. Good luck with it. :icon_thumright:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those are 2 great coins ! nice find :thumbsup: Congrats on the Banner HH in 2010 Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread