1788 2.5 reales

U

umrgolf

As KylePA would probably put it, I put on my colonial thinking cap today. :laughing9: I ventured back to the site that produced the bent 1789 one reale after work. That coin had come from a soybean field adjacent to this real old house on the property. Nowthis house was built in the 1780's and the owner had told me before I couldn't go in the yard on previous attempts. So today, I met the owner's son and he said 'sure go ahead, dad won't mind' ??? I told him dad had already turned me down so he went and asked. I had one hour of daylight and these are the finds. Before I go, I will say this.. It is one thing to dig these type of coins in a field but is very surreal digging them right next to a house that was built in the same decade. (these coins were about 30 feet apart) Hopefully I'll have a similar post this weekend :thumbsup: Enjoy! HH Jeff
NEW PICS BELOW (6th and 7th down) ;D

UPDATE... just got off the phone with my diggin buddy, the 1/2 reale appears to be a Lima, Peru mintmark (M overlapping an E) definately not a mexico mint like the 2 reale .. any of the spanish experts out there feel free to pitch in ur 2 cents.. always willing to learn something new

1788 1/2 reale & 1788 2 reale uncleaned

uncleaned.jpg

cleaned front

1788 2 1:2 reales.jpg

and cleaned back

1788 2 1:2 back .jpg

buttons (love the big tombac :headbang: )

buttons.jpg

couple odd lead bullets, a musketball, and a buckle piece

misc.jpg

Attachments

• 1788 2.5 front .jpg
    1788 2.5 front .jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3,741
  • 1788 2.5.jpg
    1788 2.5.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 3,689
Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: 1788 2 1/2 reales

Holy crap, you hauled in the Colonial candy for sure. :headbang: I know what it feels like to dig a 2 Reales. I dug two last year and they both got my Colonial heart pumping. :headbang: :laughing9: You are off to a great start for 2010.

Now, if I only could get out to sweep. :D

Kirk

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

4-H said:
Nice gilt on that one button

Back is pretty, front not so much :laughing9:

Kirk PA said:
Holy crap, you hauled in the Colonial candy for sure. :headbang: I know what it feels like to dig a 2 Reales. I dug two last year and they both got my Colonial heart pumping. :headbang: :laughing9: You are off to a great start for 2010.

Now, if I only could get out to sweep. :D

Kirk

Thanks Kirk! speaking of the 2010 start, I've dug 4 coins so far this year (in order) 1860 IH, 1827 LC, 1788 1/2, 1788 2
no clad nothing else thats it :laughing7: wish they could all go this way :thumbsup:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

cntrydncr1 said:
fantastic Jeff!! congrats

Thanks Deb ;D Happy 2010!

tymcmurray said:
Way to go for it!
Congratulations!!

Ty

Thanks Ty! It turned out much better than expected

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Now that's a really sweet hunt. Big congrats! :icon_thumright:
Did the son come back after he went into ask pa?

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

pepperj said:
Now that's a really sweet hunt. Big congrats! :icon_thumright:
Did the son come back after he went into ask pa?

Haha, yes.. He told me to dig away and dig I did :laughing7:

Imnengr

Oct 31, 2009
Chicago Area
Detector(s) used
E-trac, X-terra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumright: Fantastic finds! I can only dream of finding stuff like that right now. With 5" of snow on the ground, 10 degrees F, and 6 inches more snow on the way here tomorrow...you guys are KILLING ME. Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh...I wanna go detecting!

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

What kind of signals were the Colonial coins and how deep?

Kirk

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

eastonpahere said:

Thank you easton :icon_thumleft:

Imnengr said:
:icon_thumright: Fantastic finds! I can only dream of finding stuff like that right now. With 5" of snow on the ground, 10 degrees F, and 6 inches more snow on the way here tomorrow...you guys are KILLING ME. Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh...I wanna go detecting!

spring will be here before you know it :wink: thank you

FingerGrime said:
Nice reales!

Thanks Finger

Kirk PA said:
What kind of signals were the Colonial coins and how deep?

Kirk

The very first dig near the house was the half reale.. It was hitting around 60 (zinc penny range) but sounded a bit louder like a musket ball or something..
The 2 reale was my last dig and it hit 78-79.. thought for sure it was a LC
both coins were in the range of 4-5 inches..
I found them in an area that is plowed

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Jeff, I can tell that your Colonial thinking cap was on today! :laughing9: Those Colonial silvers are what dreams are made of! I live for the moment when a silver coin reveals itself in a sloppy field of any crop variety. :laughing9:

Jeff, get back to that house, dig, dig, dig, and flip dirt around like a maniac until nothing else remains and that includes dirt, too. :laughing9: We all know there will be more silvers and other coinage of the Colonial essence to be found there!

Kyle

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

plehbah said:
The 2 reales is a beautiful coin.

They are impressive when they have some good detail.

I will get back to pawing my Barber dimes now....... :'(

Thanks plehbah, nothing wrong with Barber dimes ;D I found two in one hunt on this same property 2 weeks ago.

KylePA said:
Jeff, I can tell that your Colonial thinking cap was on today! :laughing9: Those Colonial silvers are what dreams are made of! I live for the moment when a silver coin reveals itself in a sloppy field of any crop variety. :laughing9:

Jeff, get back to that house, dig, dig, dig, and flip dirt around like a maniac until nothing else remains and that includes dirt, too. :laughing9: We all know there will be more silvers and other coinage of the Colonial essence to be found there!

Kyle

haha, that made me laugh.. I will dig sooo much out there that I'll get dizzy... It's such a beautiful little spot right in front of this house.. bout a 2 acre plowed field.. the house is uninhabited but they upkeep it very well. I wanted to take pics of the site but would give it away to the wrong people. Anyway, I've prob only hit about 1/50th of this little field thus far in my hour hunt sooo, hopefully some more goodies pop up this weekend :thumbsup:

Deno said:
That's some nice old silver.

Thank you Deno, kinda like ur avatar myself :thumbsup:

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I am a historian and absolutly love colonial American history, but alas, I live in Texas. But, I love Great Depression (Rosie) history as well.

Greater Luck for the New Year! :read2:
apush

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey umr , Did the Dad and son have words of a loud audible nature ??? any sounds of furniture being smashed ??? :o :o before the kid came back and said ,"Dad say's it was ok" ::) kidding , but what happened ,to get Pop to change his mind!! :icon_scratch: Nice coins ,you dug :thumbsup:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

apush said:
Great finds! I am a historian and absolutly love colonial American history, but alas, I live in Texas. But, I love Great Depression (Rosie) history as well.

Greater Luck for the New Year! :read2:
apush

Thanks apush.. I'm learning a whole heck of a lot about colonial history here in Virginia :thumbsup:

CMDiamonddawg said:
Hey umr , Did the Dad and son have words of a loud audible nature ??? any sounds of furniture being smashed ??? :o :o before the kid came back and said ,"Dad say's it was ok" ::) kidding , but what happened ,to get Pops to change his mind!! :o Nice coins ,you dug :thumbsup:

haha, i dont think there was any violence that took place but who knows maybe he kicked dad's butt! .. i think pops said no last time i asked because they were about to work in the field and had just never thought to ask since.. and thank you HH in 2010

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread