give to ceasar- cleaning up roman coin - Jesus time frame coin 22 / 30 AD photos

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I got 6 (very heavily rock hard encrusted ) uncleaned roman coins from my local coin shop a while back -- been soaking them for 5 weeks in white vinegar to decrust em and brushing them gently each week as I changed the vinegar ---finally they cleaned up enough to ID em today---5 of them were common late era 400 AD ones no big deal ---but one turned out to be a big surprize -- a AUGUSTUS commemorative made by TIBERIUS - 31 AD -- the time of Christs life

IT WAS TIBERIUS WHO WAS "CEASAR" -- WHEN TROUBLE MAKERS TRIED TO "TRAP" JESUS BY ASKING HIM --SHOULD JEWS PAY TAXES TO THE ROMANS?-- ( SAY YES AND JESUS WOULD BE SEEN AS A "SELL OUT" TO ROME , SAY NO AND THEY WOULD HAVE HIM ARRESTED AS A "REBEL" AGAINST ROME - A TRUE NO WIN POSITION ) SO JESUS ASKED FOR A COIN --SAYING WHO'S IMAGE IS THIS? -- CEASAR THEY REPLIED ----THEN RENDER UNTO CEASAR THAT WHICH IS CEASARS AND RENDER UNTO GOD THAT WHICH IS GODS --(NOTE WHILE IT MIGHT NOT BE THIS EXACT TYPE COIN HE USED FOR THE LESSON -- THIS COIN OR ONES LIKE IT AT LEAST WAS IN USE DURING HIS LIFE TIME , IN THE AREA HE WAS AT AND THUS IN THEORY COULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE USED BY HIM OR POSSIBLY TOUCHED BY HIM IN RVERYDAY BUSSINESS DEALINGS)

CHRIST HANDLED MONEY BOUGHT FOOD, CLOTHING, AND PAID FOR THINGS JUST LIKE NORMAL FOLKS DID, AND ROMAN MONEY WAS COMMONLY USED.

the coin reads -- DIVVS AVGVSTVS PATER ( DEVINE REVERED FATHER) with a left facing head and spiked type "crown" --on the rear is a alter with--- S (the alter) C and below it the word PROVIDENT (CAREFUL OF HIS OWN SELF INTEREST -- IN OTHERWORDS NOT A BULLY TO THE PEOPLE HE RULED OVER --A GOOD KING)

to me this is way cool -- a coin from the time of christ's life --

Augustus Ceasar (AUGUST MEANS "REVERED") was the first "god" emperor * the roman senate declared him a god upon his death and every emperor of rome afterward used AUGUSTUS or CEASAR in their "royal" name -- and since son in law / stepson Tiberius followed him as ruler -- it could have only been one of the two "ceasars" on the coin christ used since using the term "CEASAR" TO MEAN THE EMPEROR was fairly new ideal

Tiberius had these coins made to honor his dead father in law -- my sweet wife scanned the actual coin for me so you can see the actual coin (below)-- to see what it would look like in "perfect shape" look at the links provided in post #2 below by mac --if it were in perfect shape like those, it would be $512 to $236 type coin

Attachments

• roman back002.jpg
    roman back002.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 935
  • roman front001.jpg
    roman front001.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,965
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• RIC_0081[tib]_2.jpg
    RIC_0081[tib]_2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,178
OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: give unto ceaser- cleaning up roman coins - jesus time frame coin 31 AD -photos

yep dat be the one.--pity its not in better shape and was so heavily encrusted-- its a high value coin * as well as historically cool --time of Christs life

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: give unto ceaser- cleaning up roman coins - jesus time frame coin 31 AD -photos

ivan salis said:
yep dat be the one.
Yes to the Pencil :thumbsup:

SS

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

can u explain how to clean these? and what is a fibre pencil?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goes4ever said:
You buy or make your own, Carbon fibre is whats used. You use it to remove heavily encrusted build up, you can sharpen the pencil to a fine point and work on the coin without scratching it, you could also use Olive oil to soften the build up.

SS

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ok, I always thought about getting some of those uncleaned roman coins to experiment with, thanks

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
Goes4ever said:
You buy or make your own, Carbon fibre is whats used. You use it to remove heavily encrusted build up, you can sharpen the pencil to a fine point and work on the coin without scratching it, you could also use Olive oil to soften the build up.

SS

I may try the pencil, sounds good. :hello2:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Re: give unto ceaser- cleaning up roman coins - jesus time frame coin 31 AD -pho

Silver Searcher said:
Goes4ever said:

SS

Is it the same stuff that a fishing rod is made of?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: give unto ceaser- cleaning up roman coins - jesus time frame coin 31 AD -pho

shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
Goes4ever said:

SS
:thumbsup: unless yours is split cane :laughing7:

SS

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used

Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
Goes4ever said:

SS

SS

:D

I have got a split cane rod, it was my grandads!

I've got some broken rods in the shed...could I use a bit of that :icon_scratch:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
Goes4ever said:

SS

SS

I've got some broken rods in the shed...could I use a bit of that :icon_scratch:
It has to be solid Carbon fibre

SS

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used

Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
Goes4ever said:

SS

SS

It has to be solid Carbon fibre

SS

Don't think I've got any of that laying around :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread