give to ceasar- cleaning up roman coin - Jesus time frame coin 22 / 30 AD photos

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I got 6 (very heavily rock hard encrusted ) uncleaned roman coins from my local coin shop a while back -- been soaking them for 5 weeks in white vinegar to decrust em and brushing them gently each week as I changed the vinegar ---finally they cleaned up enough to ID em today---5 of them were common late era 400 AD ones no big deal ---but one turned out to be a big surprize -- a AUGUSTUS commemorative made by TIBERIUS - 31 AD -- the time of Christs life

IT WAS TIBERIUS WHO WAS "CEASAR" -- WHEN TROUBLE MAKERS TRIED TO "TRAP" JESUS BY ASKING HIM --SHOULD JEWS PAY TAXES TO THE ROMANS?-- ( SAY YES AND JESUS WOULD BE SEEN AS A "SELL OUT" TO ROME , SAY NO AND THEY WOULD HAVE HIM ARRESTED AS A "REBEL" AGAINST ROME - A TRUE NO WIN POSITION ) SO JESUS ASKED FOR A COIN --SAYING WHO'S IMAGE IS THIS? -- CEASAR THEY REPLIED ----THEN RENDER UNTO CEASAR THAT WHICH IS CEASARS AND RENDER UNTO GOD THAT WHICH IS GODS --(NOTE WHILE IT MIGHT NOT BE THIS EXACT TYPE COIN HE USED FOR THE LESSON -- THIS COIN OR ONES LIKE IT AT LEAST WAS IN USE DURING HIS LIFE TIME , IN THE AREA HE WAS AT AND THUS IN THEORY COULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE USED BY HIM OR POSSIBLY TOUCHED BY HIM IN RVERYDAY BUSSINESS DEALINGS)

CHRIST HANDLED MONEY BOUGHT FOOD, CLOTHING, AND PAID FOR THINGS JUST LIKE NORMAL FOLKS DID, AND ROMAN MONEY WAS COMMONLY USED.

the coin reads -- DIVVS AVGVSTVS PATER ( DEVINE REVERED FATHER) with a left facing head and spiked type "crown" --on the rear is a alter with--- S (the alter) C and below it the word PROVIDENT (CAREFUL OF HIS OWN SELF INTEREST -- IN OTHERWORDS NOT A BULLY TO THE PEOPLE HE RULED OVER --A GOOD KING)

to me this is way cool -- a coin from the time of christ's life --

Augustus Ceasar (AUGUST MEANS "REVERED") was the first "god" emperor * the roman senate declared him a god upon his death and every emperor of rome afterward used AUGUSTUS or CEASAR in their "royal" name -- and since son in law / stepson Tiberius followed him as ruler -- it could have only been one of the two "ceasars" on the coin christ used since using the term "CEASAR" TO MEAN THE EMPEROR was fairly new ideal

Tiberius had these coins made to honor his dead father in law -- my sweet wife scanned the actual coin for me so you can see the actual coin (below)-- to see what it would look like in "perfect shape" look at the links provided in post #2 below by mac --if it were in perfect shape like those, it would be $512 to $236 type coin

Attachments

• roman back002.jpg
    roman back002.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 934
  • roman front001.jpg
    roman front001.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,964
Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: give unto ceaser -- cleanimg up some roman coins got a jesus age coin 31 AD

Grrrr Ivan, you gotta learn to take pictures.. would love to see it..

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer

holy smoke !!!!!!way to go....

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer

Very nice. Sounds very interesting.
:icon_sunny: HH in 2010 :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

its like the first coin mac put up . a bit rough but clearly IDible--wife says she will scan it tomorrow for me and then I'll be able to show you :wink: :icon_thumright: ;D

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome,can't wait to see it!

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Re: give unto ceaser- cleaning up roman coins - jesus time frame coin 31 AD -photos

new and improved post now with scanned images --thanks honey :-*

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: give unto ceaser- cleaning up roman coins - jesus time frame coin 31 AD -photos

Holey Moley Ivan.. any clue on what that is worth... Awesome.. now go buy me some coins from him so I can play too.... LOVE IT

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

booty ---ones in perfect shape similar design went for from between 512 to 236 bucks see the links post #2 above look at the sale prices -- mine while clearly IDible is not in great shape -- but as a coin from of the era of christ that he could have possibly used -- its cool as all get out to me.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

it had to be --it was so encrusted that the only way to get her IDible was 5 weeks in a white vinegar bath with gentle tooth brushing each week as I changed the vinegar -- if you know a better way to clean heavily encrusted romans please tell me , I'd love to know it.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
it had to be --it was so encrusted that the only way to get her IDible was 5 weeks in a white vinegar bath with gentle tooth brushing each week as I changed the vinegar -- if you know a better way to clean heavily encrusted romans please tell me , I'd love to know it.
A fibre pencil :thumbsup:

SS

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

with its left facing bust "avgvstvs" lettering and s c with alter --how do you tell its not a tiberius era coin honoring augustus? looks like a match to me to the ones mac posted in post #2 .-- I do want to ID it properly

for the cleaning part a fibre pencil --like wood? rubbed on it ?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
with its left facing bust "avgvstvs" lettering and s c with alter --how do you tell its not a tiberius era coin honoring augustus? looks like a match to me to the ones mac posted in post #2 .-- I do want to ID it properly

for the cleaning part a fibre pencil --like wood? rubbed on it ?
:thumbsup:http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/augustus/t.html

SS

Attachments

• RIC_0446[titus]-o_th.jpg
    RIC_0446[titus]-o_th.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 980
  • RIC_0446[titus]-r_th.jpg
    RIC_0446[titus]-r_th.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 981
OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

there is no wording over the top of the "alter" on mine -- and the S "alter" C is rather larger --think its a Tiberius era coin -- yes sadly it is over cleaned but the encrusting was like cement on it --wicked stuff -- thankfully otherwize I most likely would have never been able to find it in a batch of your pick $3 uncleaned roman coins --bible era roman coins if IDed are normally cherry picked before the scrappies are sold off but in its highly encrusted "slug" state it got mixed in with the 400 AD common uncleaned mystery slug coins for sale at $3 each --my good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions