bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I got out for a little while after work today to a site where they are demolishing three old farm houses in a row to make way for a professional building. I have had my eye on this site for awhile and I decided to scope it out again while on a test drive today. There was a vehicle up the lane so I figured it was one of the construction guys. I drove up to inquire about permission and walked into the only house left. There was an old man in there poking around with his cane in the tremendous amount of "stuff" left behind in this house. We got to talking and he was an avid detectorist back in the day but his hips no longer allow him to do it. He regailed me with all kinds of tales of finds in the area he and his wife made. What really caught my attention is the story he told me about one of the previous home owners that used to life in one of these houses. He said many years ago they had a caller on the radio who told them about some of the things he had found in his yard including a cannonball. He lived in one of these houses. The old guy also said some civil war items had been found across the street and a friend that he took detecting found a belt plate not an 8th of a mile down the road.
Anyway, I got off of work about an hour before sunset to come hunt this place quick. The ground was a lot harder in most places than I expected, but not too bad to deter me. I found a buckle right off the bat, but I don't think its that old. After poking around the property, I thought I might peek in the house for a few minutes. It has been ransacked over and over and stuff is just everywhere. I bet some caches have been found here or have yet to be found. The old guy told me some old lady lived here that hadn't thrown anything away since the 40's. After being in there myself I believe him.
Anyway, it was getting dark and I was going through the house room to room with my flashlight and I came across this thing in one of the closets. I didn't know what it was, but it looked interesting so I snagged it. Turns out it is a razor blade sharpener from the 20's. It is marked Rhodes MFG Co on the front with Rhodes Kriss Kross Strop, Saint Louis, USA. Pretty neat. I also grabbed a nice little cobalt blue bottle out of one of the medicine cabinets. There were hundreds of bottles down in the basement/cellar, but I didn't see any old old ones. I'll do a more thorough search tomorrow and hopefully find a civil war artifact or coin or something. Wish me luck!

I hate it when you try and post something and it says your file is too big. However, you can't use the same post unless you change it significantly, as I am trying to do now, because it says you have already posted it, which I clearly HAVE NOT. GRRRrrrrr.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the pictures

Attachments

• Strop.jpg
    Strop.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 800
  • Strop..jpg
    Strop..jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 794

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I need that. Razor blades are expensive now a days. :D

Cool find. 8)

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Really neat find. I have never seen one of those.
Dman

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That "file to big" Thing happens to me all the time. As soon as I am done writing my piece, I highlight it and copy it just in case the pictures don't load. Then I can just paste all that I wrote in the new post. If you use Microsoft office picture manager to edit your pictures, Click edit pictures at the top of page then at the right margin click "compress pictures" and select compress for "web pages" then click OK and save. The pictures will be a perfect size for TN. I hope this helps you out. :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the file size thing goes, I think it was a glitch.
I do copy my writing in case it gives me that error and I always resize
my pics first. My pictures were way under the size limit. I thought
my story was too long or something. Oh well, it worked out.

As far as how this thing works-- apparently you place a blade in the
clamp and turn the handle. The way it is supposed to work is the wheel
underneath the blade turns and it automatically flips the clamp over
back and forth to get an even edge. This one hardly works and I don't
see any way to take it apart to fix it.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting, I had never seen such a thing.

goldguru

Aug 24, 2005
Cool Find I have seen 1 in action & the blade holder does in fact turn over by it's self as the handle turns.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Very cool
Check that house. I was in a house we were going to demo a few years ago and even though other people had been through it I got a ton of stuff including and ton of coins date 1880 to 1984 and a 1941 playball Ted Williams baseball card so you never know
Good Luck

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find. I've never seen on of those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread