jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since he is a Friend, You Have to decide How Close of a Friend.

The Fact your Asking IF you should get it in Writing, Makes me Wonder IF you Don't Trust Him ?

I personally, When Doing Friends Places, Show them Everything.

IF they Want Something It's Theirs.

IF I were to Find a Cache, I'd Trust them to allow me to keep Half.

UNLESS of course He Isn't realy a Friend.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Since he is a Friend, You Have to decide How Close of a Friend.

The Fact your Asking IF you should get it in Writing, Makes me Wonder IF you Don't Trust Him ?

I personally, When Doing Friends Places, Show them Everything.

IF they Want Something It's Theirs.

IF I were to Find a Cache, I'd Trust them to allow me to keep Half.

UNLESS of course He Isn't realy a Friend.

Excellent answer to the query jeff.I agree. ;)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff said it straight. If he's a friend, you split if you find anything. Show him all of it and since He invited you to HIS property, what you find is legally his in most states anyway. An IT IS JUST THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

Sandman

treasures4me2find

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2005
Murphy, N.C.
Yes I agree, talk to your friend and explain all possibilities of things you could find. If he's a good friend, I don't think you should need anything in writing. As long as your both honest with each other. A split between you two would properly be the best. Maybe you can even get him or her interested in detecting. Good luck.

Ken

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
50/50....And if you do get this person interested maybe he/she has got some more site's......HH!!

ruck

Mar 5, 2005
Mansfield,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Numerous
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4377 Yes ?or in other words-(Heck Yes)-If he had not let you detect you wood not have found what what you did! ?Ruck!

ruck

Mar 5, 2005
Mansfield,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Numerous
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4377 Yes ?or in other words-(Heck Yes)-If he had not let you detect you would not have found what what you did! ?Ruck!

OP
OP
jersey junkie

jersey junkie

Jan 14, 2006
new jersey
thanks for the advice. I was planning on spliting every thing with him anyway. The search was my idea he has some preconceived nothions that metal detectors are worthless....we will see. I plan on going over today (sunday) and search some of his property. I will hopefully post some pics of the great finds. thanks again.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it will fit in your pocket and go undetected, such as a gold coin, I would say keep it to yourself....the human element of greed always rears it's ugly head in circumstances like this.

Show your friend some clad, broken toys, pull tabs and keep the good stuff a secret.

This advise is written in the books...............

Attachments

• Writing.gif
    Writing.gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 295

lionhrt9

Dec 10, 2005
NW Indiana, there's silver in dem grounds!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab (Xterra50) and Garrett (Ace 250)<-Gone to dad in Montana
well put jersey. But I have also been givin the same advise, "the nice finds in pocket, clad in your treasure bag to show owner." concept, although I have not used it,...yet.

I really think it is a situational decision, you trust the guy, he let you detect, why not show him. HE DOESNT THINK DETECTORS WORK ANYWAYS, show em what we can do!!!! He will be asking how he can get his hands on one!!!! ;)

HH

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every situation is different, use your own judgement. I have gone up to a person that I have never met before and asked permission to detect on his or her property. half of the people you talk to never even heard of detecting. others would ask the question of what are you going to find or look for.? some people want to see what you find...and one person said to me after he gave me permission was ( If you find that box of Gold Coins we split 50/50 ) So some people know and don't no....????? so I would say again use your own judgement in each situation.....Remember the site your hunting might not give up something that day but the next time your there might be the day of the big find.... :-X Seeker

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The real question is how much value do you place on your own integrity and honor? If you are hunting on someone elses property and you have made the agreement to split...then you split.
Do you expect to find something big? I agree with Jeff, that the fact that you questioned "to get it in writing", would lead me to believe that you really dont trust him...
Bottom line is , your word should be enough....but in todays world,unfortunately, that often isnt binding. People tend to let greed blind them,and strip them of any morals they thought they had.
You dont own the property or anything on it...you couldnt be hunting there without their permission....so get it in writing to protect your half. Best of Luck!

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
When I ask for permission I also ask if they'd like to see what I find. It's just a given that if I find anything of value or worth splitting that I offer if they'd like half in the case where something hasn't been already established and if it's a piece of jewelry or heirloom tied to the family I offer it all. Happy Hunting. Dan

Hardrock

May 25, 2004
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, with sunray probe,Minelab SE,Eureka Gold
Hi All: Just a short 2 cents worth, lots of great ideas but for 34 years of treasure hunting and prospecting here goes. In past experiences I have found "friends" treat a found coin or artifact from there yard or site differently. Some give a wave of the hand and say go have fun,others say let me see what you find and others want to be involved directly with the hunting.
Now in some states a handshake is a binding agreement and if you say we will split 50/50 and shake on it,you had better do so and it is a good thing to do. If there is any chance of a cache being found or a rare or valuable item, get it in writing on the split,both of you sign it and stand by what is written, I have had the experience of it paying off for us both. I have had the bad experience also on a find in a farm in Mo. that belonged to a friend and lost any chance of keeping a pennies worth many years ago. Learned a lesson there and have always sat with the owner and pre agreed,even if they are laughing, got it in writing. It is good for you both and documents verbal agreements which can be easily forgotten or ignored. Real friends are family which you choose,but money even in familys causes break ups, get it in writing and all will be happy, we hope,if done corretly. ;) Hardrock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread