Need help identifying sterling silver thing found today!

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
I went out for about an hour today and detected around a house next door to my parents. I quickly got a good quarter signal about 3 1/2" down. When I dug down I noticed a chain, at first I thought it was a necklace, but when I pulled the chain I saw something else below it. I pulled it out, the bottom of it has sterling on one corner and 30 on the other. I have no clue what it is but I know it is silver. Anybody know what this thing was used for, or what it is?

Picture1161.jpg

Picture1159.jpg

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can buy into the tea infuser theory as well - by default , as I really don't know . The chain
and ring work well with this usage. Argentium.

OP
OP
TejasDigger

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
dirtywhitboy said:
making tea
At first I laughed at this until I thought about it for a minute. That would be the reason for being silver. You just place this thing in a pot and pull it out with the chain when it's done. Anyone else?

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A ex of mine used to collect tea-balls. Most of hers were round. The Kovels Antique Show on HGTV did a feature about tea-balls several years ago. Nice find, I don't think she had any sterling ones.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
wow i learned 2 things ! 1- that its for making tea. 2- that plebah even drinks tea :laughing7: willy

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Wow what a unique find. Can't say I've ever seen one of those before.

I'd give that a banner vote because of the uniqueness of it.

:icon_thumleft:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those leaf burners can be used for tea leafs as a teen back in the good ole 1960,s we used those to burn incenses amongst other things :laughing7: i dont think mine were silver but copper i had a bunch of them but i always forgot where i hung them :icon_scratch:.Nice find ! HH Jim

OP
OP
TejasDigger

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
BobinSouthVA said:
Wow what a unique find. Can't say I've ever seen one of those before.

I'd give that a banner vote because of the uniqueness of it.

:icon_thumleft:

Thanks!

OP
OP
TejasDigger

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
creeper71 said:
TejasDigger said:
willie d said:

Cool! That one is on ebay with a starting bid of $45. Thanks for the help guys! :icon_thumleft:
that ebay price is way too high

That is your opinion. Go look on ebay for tea ball's and see what they are going for. I see several ranging from $40 to $90 and a lot have bids too. Please don't try and downgrade my find because you wouldn't buy it. After looking into it there are people who collect these and would pay more than you.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
TejasDigger said:
creeper71 said:
TejasDigger said:
willie d said:

Cool! That one is on ebay with a starting bid of $45. Thanks for the help guys! :icon_thumleft:
that ebay price is way too high

That is your opinion. Go look on ebay for tea ball's and see what they are going for. I see several ranging from $40 to $90 and a lot have bids too. Please don't try and downgrade my find because you wouldn't buy it. After looking into it there are people who collect these and would pay more than you.
I deal in antiques but I guess you know more then me..sorry

OP
OP
TejasDigger

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread