Almost a golden day

dave5339

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Minelab X-Terra 305, Garrett Pro Pointer
My family and I went out and hit an older site in the DFW area. We were hitting mostly bottle tops, old tin cans, fence parts and whatsits.

Hit one spot that sounded off nice on the Cibola, it even sounded off with full discrimination, I marked off the spot and pointed it out to my wife who was doing the digging, (yep, I'm lucky).

Here is what came out of the hole.

IMG_4302-1-1.jpg

Our initial thought was that the Cibola had just paid for itself. It was gold, we were able to make out 18kt inside the band, it was heavy, and it appeared old.

My wife did some research once we got home. Unfortunately it turned out to be 18K HGE (Heavy Gold Electroplated) manufactured by Vargas, guessing the date made to be around mid 1950's.

Still, it made for a nice day out in the woods!

Semper Fi

Upvote 0

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry bout that, what exactly are we looking at? The brown thing by your trowel?

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A ring is a ring and it gives you bragging rights others don't have yet. Keep track. They add up!
SKD

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Better luck next time. It is still a good find.
Dman

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a quick question, I assume you don't run it in full Disc. all the time? Best results is with none, plus high ses.

desert dog

Oct 27, 2009
kingman az
Detector(s) used
new coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME

Attachments

• Big Congrats.gif
    Big Congrats.gif
    161.6 KB · Views: 382
  • Way to Go!.gif
    Way to Go!.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 393
  • Big Congrats.gif
    Big Congrats.gif
    161.6 KB · Views: 375
  • Way to Go!.gif
    Way to Go!.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 392
OP
OP
D

dave5339

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Minelab X-Terra 305, Garrett Pro Pointer
CRUSADER said:
Just a quick question, I assume you don't run it in full Disc. all the time? Best results is with none, plus high ses.

Crusader,

Generally we drive the machine just above iron. When we hit a target we sweep the target and discriminator to see where it drops out at. We generally dig most everything that beeps above a nickel setting as is. When we run full sensitivity the machine gets a little twitchy and beeps if the wind blows, most time we run between a 6-8.

Semper Fi

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dave5339 said:
CRUSADER said:

Crusader,

Generally we drive the machine just above iron. When we hit a target we sweep the target and discriminator to see where it drops out at. We generally dig most everything that beeps above a nickel setting as is. When we run full sensitivity the machine gets a little twitchy and beeps if the wind blows, most time we run between a 6-8.

Semper Fi

yeah, you can only run Ses as high as the ground allows, keep it as high but stable as you can. Glad to here you dig most things. I used to run just above Iron but as the years went on, so the disc got lower. I don't use my Tesoro's anymore but I now run with no disc at all on my XP :icon_thumright:

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run no disc on the EXP II as well. Usually the ground conditions around here allow me to run near full sens as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread