Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some 1900 era Military finds and one 1700's Very Small shoe buckle

With the temps finally getting to around 40* I got out late this morning for my third short hunt of the month. There was still some snow in the woods, but overall the conditions for hunting were doable.............

I usually go rather deep into the woods but today I stayed parallel to paved road and never ventured further into the woods than a block or so.
I started to get numerous iron hits right away, but was concerned that the area might have been used as a dumping grounds for locals back in the mid 1900s... Other areas nearby are that way.

The site I found was a bit irritating, shotgun casings were all over the tone ranges on my Explorer, some times they do that and at this site it was dig no matter what, but with the ground frozen in spots a bit too hard, I eventually started to ignore some of those signals and will save them for a better digging condition day.

I started off by finding the wreath and stars button/pin and was a bit disappointed it was not an old button. A few minutes later I got a tent rope tensioner, a 4 holed USA button, a knickknack and finally something old and a pleasant surprise, a 1700's Knee Shoe buckle! Got two or three last year so no complaining starting off in January with another one for the collection.

The area is huge, so I started milling around and came upon another hot spot with iron hits, then saw a brick and a foundation and fireplace base, but it looked late 1800ish to me, but you never know, the site could have been occupied for a long time before the building of that foundation.

I only hunted at the second site a short time, but thought for sure I had a large copper, beautiful high tone reading and to my surprise it was a US Army Collar Brass, with an 18 below the US.

So, after looking at the items found today, it looks like I got a possible WWI collar brass, not sure though, a WWI 4 holed button, I believe the WW2 buttons said US ARMY, this one does not. The 4 star with wreath button/pin, must be military also, probably same era as the other relics and maybe even the tensioner is Army.

So, no coins yet this year, but I am sure this site will produce some more goodies, I might just go back there tomorrow with the predicted good weather.................

Don

Attachments

• 14Jan10Site250.jpg
    14Jan10Site250.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 841
  • Site250finds14Jan10clean.jpg
    Site250finds14Jan10clean.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 879
  • backsideArmyrelics.jpg
    backsideArmyrelics.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 776
Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Some 1900 era Military finds and one 1700's Knee buckle

Great finds. I'd be back on that spot again soon. Congradulations....

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.

Great finds. :icon_thumleft:

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007

Very nice relics there Don...I really like that buckle...It cleaned up great.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Really nice find. Congrats.
Dman

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice looking relics, good luck on the next hunt there. :icon_thumright:

WhiteHunter

Dec 28, 2006
Hampshire
Detector(s) used
E-trac,X-Terra 70, Ace 250 with Sniper Coil, Sea Hunter MK2

I like the button and buckle, well done :icon_thumright:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm pretty sure with that kinda guts to it, thats its a small shoe buckle.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:

By golly you are correct, never gave it a thought and should have since Mike in Berks post on What is it, was a discussion item on what is a Shoe or Knee buckle. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,292484.0.html

I would be going now more by what I said in that post, that because the shaft runs across the width and not the length would indicate more a shoe buckle.

Thanks Cru for noticing the difference, I should have and did not, have a few of both but no shoe buckles that small!

Don

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
CRUSADER said:

By golly you are correct, never gave it a thought and should have since Mike in Berks post on What is it, was a discussion item on what is a Shoe or Knee buckle.

I would be going now more by what I said in that post, that because the shaft runs across the width and not the length would indicate more a shoe buckle.

Thanks Cru for noticing the difference, I should have and did not, have a few of both but no shoe buckles that small!

Don

I have a few tiny ones, most people do get stuck in the thinking that they need to be big (because many are).
Forgot to add its a nice looking one at that!

Keep doing what you do best, finding the old stuff :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

PS. Good Button as well.

Kanyontreasures

Jan 13, 2010
idaho
Detector(s) used
whites prizm 3, whites bullseye ii
Re: Some 1900 era Military finds and one 1700's Very Small shoe buckle

cool finds!!!!! :headbang: :hello2: :headbang: :hello2: :headbang: :hello2: :headbang: :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions