1911 Wheatie and site pics

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Not to bad of a day today, little cloudy but temps in 40's with slight chill, but didn't notice cause I was having fun. Ground still hard as rock, but still chipped away and found few good things and some usual junk (nail, copper wire and end caps off shotgun shell). Here are the good things and pics of the place I am hunting.
I found a 1911 wheatback around same place I found the 1919 one and 1888 Indian head. And dumby me. Had camera and didn't take a pick of it as I dug it. :icon_scratch:
There also a belt buckle, a round washer or something (it's flat on oneside and slightly rounded on the other with hole in middle), an oval shape flat copper thing, some kind of gun shell, ( which is the one I found yesterday and lost out of my bag), a small piece of some kind of metal, a piece of granite I think ( it has all these little stones with something holding them itogether), and an aluminum cap with fancy deco around the edge and letters LC with a small o hanging from the C and inc on the lower right of the L. (LCO inc.), not sure what it went to. I couldn't find anything on the net about it.
:icon_sunny: HH in 2010 :icon_sunny:

Attachments

• findsf.jpg
    findsf.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 490
  • findsb.jpg
    findsb.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 490
  • penny.jpg
    penny.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 493
  • lid.jpg
    lid.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 485
  • bullet.jpg
    bullet.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 474
  • site1.jpg
    site1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 484
  • site2.jpg
    site2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 474
Upvote 0

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
nice pics and finds!! to bad the wheat didnt have a S that would make it a semi key. i have around 5 of them non dug. ranging from g-ef for some reason i think the price on them are going to jump up in the future. congrats willy.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Neat finds. Congrats on the wheat penny and the IH penny.
Dman

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and hunt site :icon_thumright:

1911 is my oldest wheatie, but my 1917 got better patina.

OP
OP
Knightwalker

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Rando said:
Sweet.
:icon_thumright:

It's the funniest thing. i just realized that i have found a lot of indian heads, and a few other coins, dating back to the mid 1800s, but have NEVER broken 1917 on wheat pennies...
Since I started back detecting a couple of years ago, I've just found the one Indian head. I did find a 1915 wheat back down the road from this site at the old church last year, most the rest I've found are newer ones, mostly in 40's and 50's.

OP
OP
Knightwalker

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
dfx willy said:
nice pics and finds!! to bad the wheat didnt have a S that would make it a semi key. i have around 5 of them non dug. ranging from g-ef for some reason i think the price on them are going to jump up in the future. congrats willy.
Thank you Willy. It's just a plain Abe. :laughing7:
May not be worth much in value, but worth a lot in joyment of the hunt.

OP
OP
Knightwalker

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Dman said:
Neat finds. Congrats on the wheat penny and the IH penny.
Dman
Thank you Dman. Good luck hunting.

OP
OP
Knightwalker

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
rvrpilot said:
Good to see your getting out again,nice wheaty looks to be in pretty good condition. hh
Thanks TW. That shocked me that it is in good condition. Finding it near the top of the ground, you would think the plow or disc would of scratched it at least. But neither this one or the other two coins I found were affected by them.

OP
OP
Knightwalker

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
IronSpike said:
Nice finds and hunt site :icon_thumright:

1911 is my oldest wheatie, but my 1917 got better patina.
This one is now my oldest wheatie. I did find a 1919 close to this one and a 1915 down the road at an old church last year. I'm still looking for that rare 1909 ones. :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread