Roman Site......Good Day! - Picture UPDATE...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Returned to finish off the productive area of the Roman Site. Only spent 3 hours but the sticky conditions were the worst we have worked in, & thats saying something :P :P :P

I never need to worry about loss of Sensitivity with the 11" coil when finding a button less than 8mm!

9 Scrappies
Possible Saxon Pinhead (or Roman)
Clipped Roman Silver Siliqua :)

Circa 9th Century Gold Chipped Carved Saxon Clothes Fastener ;D My first one, & a pretty Rare UK Find :icon_thumright:

Maybe this will be a good year with finds like this in the most difficult period :)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,039
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,044
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 1,047
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,033
Upvote 0

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
wwwtimmcp said:
the guy on the pottery shard looks like he is taking a piss.

nice finds

He is. I have the complete set. It's too bad you don't get to see the whole scene.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pepperj said:
Nice hunt once again, :icon_thumright:
What's the item above the Romans?

I really don't know, other than I got excited at first, as nearly all the finds are Roman & that was what I was hoping it was. Turns out its Brass & probably Victorian :dontknow:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say the design is medieval or perhaps the 16th century .... ::)

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Cru, you continue to keep finding stuff. The snow and ice has finally stopped now, so maybe after a week the ground we will be able to get searching again, deeper in the ground. Because the water level here is very high, the ground freezes solid after a short time. You have not had much snow and ice so to see... Keep on hunting for the silver...

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOODY50 said:
Nice finds Cru, you continue to keep finding stuff. The snow and ice has finally stopped now, so maybe after a week the ground we will be able to get searching again, deeper in the ground. Because the water level here is very high, the ground freezes solid after a short time. You have not had much snow and ice so to see... Keep on hunting for the silver...

Thanks, we have a couple of options left but they are very poor, still doesn't harm to try harder :icon_thumright:

U

umrgolf

What is the long slender item on the top of the 3rd pic? I found something just like it a few months ago and have never been able to i.d. it. finial?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spiders said:
What is the long slender item on the top of the 3rd pic? I found something just like it a few months ago and have never been able to i.d. it. finial?

see previous reply above.

Yours if similar with a iron residue on the base then it is a clothes hook.

U

umrgolf

CRUSADER said:
spiders said:

don't see the iron residue :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spiders said:
CRUSADER said:
spiders said:

don't see the iron residue :icon_scratch:
another mystery like my piece then :dontknow: Its broken at both ends, but the think end it changed direction to a 90 degree angle, so not a finial as such.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
scratcher, I love english pottery, the designs and the quality are just the best. most of what I've seen is from liverpool,18th century. soapstone is my favorite it seems to hold up better than bone ash. I love the pilgrim shell design from the pennington brothers. I found a piece of this years ago made from soapstone pottery.

the penningtons were not licensed for soapstone only bone ash. they had a working agreement with richard chaffers between 1755 and 1764 he was licensed for soapstone and that helped date the piece.
beautifull pink design too.

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
wwwtimmcp said:
scratcher, I love english pottery, the designs and the quality are just the best. most of what I've seen is from liverpool,18th century. soapstone is my favorite it seems to hold up better than bone ash. I love the pilgrim shell design from the pennington brothers. I found a piece of this years ago made from soapstone pottery.

the penningtons were not licensed for soapstone only bone ash. they had a working agreement with richard chaffers between 1755 and 1764 he was licensed for soapstone and that helped date the piece.
beautifull pink design too.

Hey tim, I like this stuff too. Most of the pieces I find are what I call delftware but I'm not sure that is the proper term. Imagining the rest of that scene had me rolling.....

Oh, and great finds again Crusader :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread