My best find yet.....and my first confederate button!!!!!

GAdirtfishin

Mar 24, 2008
Summerville, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was recently invited to a piece of property by a lady saying that she wanted someone to come metal detect around her property, she was curious if there was anything on it. She said several people had asked in the past however they never showed up to detect. She called me three times to make sure I would come and on my first visit I found the remnants of an old roadbed and concentrated my search around the road.

I knew that JB Hood had moved through this area on his way to Alabama after the Battle of Atlanta so there was potential. The first visit I found an eagle cuff button so my interest was peaked - second visit another eagle cuff and the back of an eagle cuff along with some carved lead and a NY cuff. I decided to go back on Monday of this week since the office was closed and began again looking around the old roadbed, I took about 5 steps and got a good signal - a two piece button with a perfect shank attached. I figured it would be another eagle button but I couldnt tell what it was so I brushed it a little - I saw a star and what I thought was crossed sabers or crossed cannons. The excitement was killing me so I came on home to look in my button book to see what I had. I immediatley thought Texas because of the star so that is where I started - turns out the button is an 1837 Republic of Texas Artillery button - from what I am told this is an extremely rare button.

This is my first confederate button - and so far the best find I have ever made. Check out the video to see the button straight out of the ground.

Attachments

• TEXASBUTTON.jpg
    TEXASBUTTON.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 3,884
  • NYCUFF.jpg
    NYCUFF.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 3,843
  • CUFFBUTTONS.jpg
    CUFFBUTTONS.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3,837
Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really enjoyed the video. Great buttons. I love the Texas button. Thanks for sharing it with us.
HH.....

U

umrgolf

very very sweet buttons... very well made video as well :hello2: you have my banner vote on the texas button

OP
OP
GAdirtfishin

GAdirtfishin

Mar 24, 2008
Summerville, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks for the replies guys - I too love that Texas button. Thanks for the banner vote spiders!!!

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Very awsome find. Sounds like you hit the mother lode area.
:icon_sunny: HH in 2010

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video GA dirtfishin'..You found some great buttons !! The Texas Artie button :o :o :o :o :o :o Congrats ,that is awesome :thumbsup:

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Wow that Texas Artillery buttons is nice. It books for $1,100+ in dug condition

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Wow! I just saw another button just like this on another post. Why did you post it twice? Congrats again.
Dman
Dman
Dman

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great TX button that is a find of a lifetime. :hello2:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow. Great buttons and very nice story

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
plehbah said:
vayank54 said:

Is that all?

Listen friends, now is the time to INVEST IN EXCAVATED SPECIMENS OF TEXAS ARTILLERY BUTTONS.

I would much rather have one of those than an ounce of gold from a long term investment perspective.

I'm afraid that's it. but it really depends on how bad someone wants it. I saw one button that books for about $8,000 go for over 10 and another that books for about 12,000 go for over 16. It can go the other way though. One thing I have seen over the years is even in bad recessions the price of the rarer relics doesn't go down.

U

umrgolf

vayank54 said:
plehbah said:
vayank54 said:

Is that all?

Listen friends, now is the time to INVEST IN EXCAVATED SPECIMENS OF TEXAS ARTILLERY BUTTONS.

I would much rather have one of those than an ounce of gold from a long term investment perspective.

I'm afraid that's it. but it really depends on how bad someone wants it. I saw one button that books for about $8,000 go for over 10 and another that books for about 12,000 go for over 16. It can go the other way though. One thing I have seen over the years is even in bad recessions the price of the rarer relics doesn't go down.

No matter what it's worth it should be on the banner ;D

OP
OP
GAdirtfishin

GAdirtfishin

Mar 24, 2008
Summerville, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks again guys for the kind remarks and for watching the video - I am still super excited with this find.

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, thatsa nice button there. The video was well made to. I vote banner on the button. That is a gem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread