May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you work out what the black mark (discolouration) is?

Looks like a possible mounting point (solder mark), which may point to a more recent loss.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Can you work out what the black mark (discolouration) is?

Looks like a possible mounting point (solder mark), which may point to a more recent loss.

Almost looks like how a holed coin would be misshapened in that area, which does bulge the edge out on the coin. Perhaps since it does not appear to be a hole, it was soldered onto a finding as part of a coin bracelet, now that would be cool, since than others might be in the general area, just conjecture on my part. (also wishful thinking LOL of him finding more of the same).
(Note, the darkened is on both sides)

Don

tr snyper

Dec 29, 2008
Clark - Congrats from another South Jersey hunter. Don't be surprised if that's not the only "old" silver you find here. Over the years I have pulled up quite a few pre colonial times era silver coins. Although most of them are Spanish I have found a newer German silver (1820) ::) Einen Thaler. And other foreign silvers. Since we didn't mint our own "US" coins until the late 1790's and colonial coppers/silver from the earlier 1700's we relied on foreign coinage. We basically adopted the Thaler system which later wound up being Spanish Cobs or pieces of 8 and fractions of it.

When you think of the 1600's Virginia and Massachusetts comes to mind. But there are sites in NJ from this time. I live a stones throw away from an iron stone "friends meeting place" which is basically a Quaker church and it's dated in the late 1690's. And by the beginning of the 1700's Jersey was pretty active being you had to pass through Jersey to go from N.Y. to Philly or Virginia. All ships had to pass by Jersey in the Atlantic and south Jerseys bays were perfect shelter from storms. Long Beach Island was well know for the whaling fleets in the late 1600's and pirates were recorded coming into the bays to do what ever they did then leave. And the best of all is that every ship that ever saw Philadelphia had to do so up the Delaware River. Which as you know is bordered by N.J. South Jersey's saw mills and iron bogs supplied the New World with Cedar timber which is the wood of choice for the early boat builders and pig iron. Batsto produced tons of iron supplies and munitions for General Washington in the war.

Well I'm getting off track with a history lesson that's probably boring you. But don't count out finding another. I agree with the other guys and believe that it was circulated for a long time and was most likely lost at a site around the late 1700's. Or later. It wasn't until I think 1857??? when the US passed a law doing away with the legal tender of foreign coins. And commerce still used it when coinage from the states were low and in a shortage.

But that coin is a great coin to find even for Jersey. If I were to make a bet right now I would bet that the next old silver (foreign) you find will be a Spanish coin. I hope for you it's a piece of 8. My latest one was only an 1812 2 reale. It wasn't as old as I would have liked but I certainly am not complaining. Being larger than a Quarter it looks nice. I found it at a site that produced a Crotal bell from England from the end of the 1700's and what I believe to be a cattle tag. Date??? So being new to Jersey do some homework at your county library and you will find old sites. There is almost no spot here that doesn't have some type of activity from the distant pass. And one more tip. Don't let the pines fool you. There are lost villages all through out South Jersey. Many were lost over night due to fire in the early 1800's. You can find them from the remains of the chimneys as you dig the cut nails.

Wow this forum is fast. Since I started this reply 6 or 7 people have posted so I'm sorry if I repeated anything. I'm just learning this forum
Steve

OP
OP
chark21798

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil
tr snyper said:
Clark - Congrats from another South Jersey hunter. Don't be surprised if that's not the only "old" silver you find here. Over the years I have pulled up quite a few pre colonial times era silver coins. Although most of them are Spanish I have found a newer German silver (1820) ::) Einen Thaler. And other foreign silvers. Since we didn't mint our own "US" coins until the late 1790's and colonial coppers/silver from the earlier 1700's we relied on foreign coinage. We basically adopted the Thaler system which later wound up being Spanish Cobs or pieces of 8 and fractions of it.

When you think of the 1600's Virginia and Massachusetts comes to mind. But there are sites in NJ from this time. I live a stones throw away from an iron stone "friends meeting place" which is basically a Quaker church and it's dated in the late 1690's. And by the beginning of the 1700's Jersey was pretty active being you had to pass through Jersey to go from N.Y. to Philly or Virginia. All ships had to pass by Jersey in the Atlantic and south Jerseys bays were perfect shelter from storms. Long Beach Island was well know for the whaling fleets in the late 1600's and pirates were recorded coming into the bays to do what ever they did then leave. And the best of all is that every ship that ever saw Philadelphia had to do so up the Delaware River. Which as you know is bordered by N.J. South Jersey's saw mills and iron bogs supplied the New World with Cedar timber which is the wood of choice for the early boat builders and pig iron. Batsto produced tons of iron supplies and munitions for General Washington in the war.

Well I'm getting off track with a history lesson that's probably boring you. But don't count out finding another. I agree with the other guys and believe that it was circulated for a long time and was most likely lost at a site around the late 1700's. Or later. It wasn't until I think 1857??? when the US passed a law doing away with the legal tender of foreign coins. And commerce still used it when coinage from the states were low and in a shortage.

But that coin is a great coin to find even for Jersey. If I were to make a bet right now I would bet that the next old silver (foreign) you find will be a Spanish coin. I hope for you it's a piece of 8. My latest one was only an 1812 2 reale. It wasn't as old as I would have liked but I certainly am not complaining. Being larger than a Quarter it looks nice. I found it at a site that produced a Crotal bell from England from the end of the 1700's and what I believe to be a cattle tag. Date??? So being new to Jersey do some homework at your county library and you will find old sites. There is almost no spot here that doesn't have some type of activity from the distant pass. And one more tip. Don't let the pines fool you. There are lost villages all through out South Jersey. Many were lost over night due to fire in the early 1800's. You can find them from the remains of the chimneys as you dig the cut nails.

Wow this forum is fast. Since I started this reply 6 or 7 people have posted so I'm sorry if I repeated anything. I'm just learning this forum
Steve

Steve thanks for history, i enjoyed it all info is great, i have alot of spanish silver ive found in my fields back to a full 1721 pistareen. Thats one place pine barrens i would love to hunt, never have. not much of a beach hunter love the history of old things. A good friend i meet out here all fields have coins you just dont want any with dead presidents on them. Well thanks again maybe we can cross paths someday. MARK

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a six kruezer, It's for sure the holy roman emperor leopold hapsburg,(The hogmouth) check out that protruding lower jaw! To much inbreeding! GH kane 23

OP
OP
chark21798

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil
chark21798 said:
Hey all found this silver coin in a field here in south jersey. Just not sure what it is. SIZE ABOUT OF A QUARTER and is silver. Any info would help me out. thanks Mark
I just want to thank everyone again on information. thanks

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Very nice find regardless how it got there. Like others have said. Go back and dig some more.
HH, Mike in NJ

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's an oldie, great find. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread