More, New Found AMAZING History!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just can't believe how much history that keeps coming from this place.
Our property is undergoing a huge transformation and remodel. Upon doing a well test, one of the workers saw Indian pottery shards jewelry, points and chips etc...Well here's the cool part , The artifacts belong to The Woodland Indians. Woodland Indians were the prehistoric tribe that really didn't have a name like Cherokee, Creek etc.. They were just known as the Woodland tribe. They just "dwelled" in the forest.
Friends of ours who are Archeologist's from local and other colleges have begun researching and finding really cool artifacts. I have volunteered to help as well.
Here's more proof that Metal detectorist's and Archeologists can work together.

The Archaeologist's are looking for dark spots in the soil representing a prehistoric post or implement.
The photo's below demonstrate this.

I can't post the complete finding's yet but, stay tuned! :wink:

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 781
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 802
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 784
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 774
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 788
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 790
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 767
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 772
Upvote 0

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Wow, awesome story coming! Great post, man! How did you clear out that area in the fifth photo with damaging anything? Or was it basically assumed there the first couple feet are empty?

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting story, 4-H. Hope your not building on top of sacred burial grounds ??? Keep us informed of your findings and hope that you will find some nice, old relics there. Ron

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
4-H, my archaeological specialty was Virginia Prehistoric Woodland Indians. I concentrated on those located in Southern Virginia near South Boston typically. While tribal affiliations cannot be guaranteed, just the locality alone can trace them to a particular tribe. The Ocaneechee were the prevalent tribe in the South Boston area and they extended into North Carolina.

If you are finding a pattern of post molds , there is a very good chance there is a structure there, whether it be just a seasonal camp or permanant village. Regardless of the type, if they stayed there for any extended period of time, there should be a midden. The midden or trash pit will have everything from broken pottery, bones from food, broken tools, etc. Often burials were put in middens as well. The soil type looks like a lot of red clay from the pictures you posted, so you may not find too much organic material as they are eaten away pretty quickly in that level of acidity.

Are there any creeks, streams, or a river nearby? If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a message.

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find of a life time.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's cool Mike. I grew up on the Cumberland River and we had a Woodland Indian Graveyard on our farm They had graves lined with rocks and were small frame people. They made some very pretty arrowheads and other points. HH.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,
You have all the cool stuff over there you lucky dog. :icon_thumleft: Very neat post. Is that you in the picture?
I think some of my ex-relatives were part of that tribe? Instead of the woods though, they would just hang out in our house and just dwell. :tongue3: :laughing9:
Looking forward to seeing what comes out of that area.
-Doug-

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
EpsilonMinus said:
Wow, awesome story coming! Great post, man! How did you clear out that area in the fifth photo with damaging anything? Or was it basically assumed there the first couple feet are empty?
That particular piece of land will be handed down to the VA hospital and we pick up some new up towards the mountain so, they have to clear it anyway to build a small clinic.
Philvis said:
4-H, my archaeological specialty was Virginia Prehistoric Woodland Indians. I concentrated on those located in Southern Virginia near South Boston typically. While tribal affiliations cannot be guaranteed, just the locality alone can trace them to a particular tribe. The Ocaneechee were the prevalent tribe in the South Boston area and they extended into North Carolina.

If you are finding a pattern of post molds , there is a very good chance there is a structure there, whether it be just a seasonal camp or permanant village. Regardless of the type, if they stayed there for any extended period of time, there should be a midden. The midden or trash pit will have everything from broken pottery, bones from food, broken tools, etc. Often burials were put in middens as well. The soil type looks like a lot of red clay from the pictures you posted, so you may not find too much organic material as they are eaten away pretty quickly in that level of acidity.

Are there any creeks, streams, or a river nearby? If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a message.
Thank you. And we just may do that. To answer your question pertaining the water source, yes, there are creeks that wind and meet all through here. And just below that site. Thanks again! Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions