Tennessee Civil War Camp - Bullets, Button, Cansiter Shot, and Campfire Lead

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Vol1266x and I were able to get out between freezing weather, snow, and rain. We made a couple of trips to a U.S. camp and were able to find a few relics. The first picture is of the bullets I found. I noticed after taking the picture that the bullet on the top right had four little notches cut in the bottom of it. All the bullets are .58 caliber except for the round on which is a .69 The second picture is of the campfire lead. The penny is a 1938 I found and used for size comparison. Sometimes soldiers would sit around the fire and throw damaged lead bullets into the fire. The third picture is carved Williams cleaner bullet. It looks like a soldier took his knife and peeled back the bottom ring. The last picture is of the two types of canister shot I found. There are two pieces of lead canister shot and two pieces of iron canister shot. Also there are some buttons I found. The one with the four holes is an underwear button, the other is a flat button. The last is a button back, probably from an Eagle V button. I used the MineLab Explorer SE to find the canister shot. The lead canister shot has a high pitch sound and the iron canister shot has a low pitch solid sound. Thanks for looking.
Dman

Attachments

• DSC01012.JPG
    DSC01012.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,040
  • DSC01013.JPG
    DSC01013.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,003
  • DSC01014.JPG
    DSC01014.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 944
  • DSC01015.JPG
    DSC01015.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,020
Upvote 0

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Congrats on finding some Nice Relics !

TommNJ

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice looking lead. :icon_thumright:
The SE loves the lead, hits really well. The steel canister shot :dontknow: never found any.

S

seger98

Nice job on the CW relics. I'll bet they'll look great in a frame someday. :thumbsup:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dman, Dman, Dman, :wink:
Looks like you & Q had a fantastic relic hunting day. I always love seeing carved bullets. Maybe the one with the notches was a chess piece? :dontknow:
A super day for you. Did you have to tote any of Quindy's equipment for him? ;D
Congrats,
Doug in NC

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Very awsome bullets, Dman. To think that is a heck of a game they played back then, throwing lead shot into the fire. :icon_scratch:
:icon_sunny: HH in 2010 :icon_sunny:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great dig's Dman....look's like you and Vol had a good day,congrat's :thumbsup:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always exciting to find CW relics, but the unique ones make for very special finds! :icon_pirat: Ya'll did good!

Good luck next week! Nana :wink:

L

lovedigging

Doug, Way to go buddy!!! Looks like you found a spot that you need to hit again :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Relics! :thumbsup: I love the CW iron. :)

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since we didn't get to hunt but a couple of hours on the second day because you wanted to go visit your son, we missed the notched base carved bullet. I believe the soldier was working on a "Whistler" bullet. As I have been told, the "Whistler' bullet made an eerie sound when fired because the rifling in the gun spun the bullet. You had a great couple of hunts and we may sneak one in this week at the C.S. site where you dug the rare Tranter pistol bullet in the Fall if the weather will cooperate. Great Finds.

OP
OP
Dman

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
ModernMiner said:
Dman, Dman, Dman, :wink:
Looks like you & Q had a fantastic relic hunting day. I always love seeing carved bullets. Maybe the one with the notches was a chess piece? :dontknow:
A super day for you. Did you have to tote any of Quindy's equipment for him? ;D
Congrats,
Doug in NC
No , It wasn't a chess piece. It is what we call a whistler bullet. The soldiers would carve notches in the base and when they would shoot them the bullet would whistle through the air and make an awful racket.
Thanks for looking
Dman

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man nice bunch of lead! cant wait to spring so I can finally do some cw relic hunting.

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds bud, I like the bullet on the top right, never seen one like that before, Congrats :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread