Found a Confederate States button today. WOW!!!!!

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• CS central government button.jpg
    CS central government button.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,329
  • CS button back.jpg
    CS button back.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,339
  • Buckles.jpg
    Buckles.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,352
  • bullets.jpg
    bullets.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,347
  • Relics.jpg
    Relics.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,331
  • small revit.jpg
    small revit.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,314
Upvote 0

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
WOW! Really nice button. If you find that at the start of a hunt it is hard to top that. Way to go.
Dman

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh WoW, River! What a GREAT button!!! :o Maybe another there waiting for you? :icon_pirat:

Congrats!! Nana :wink:

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
CSI ; too cool . That thing on the far right in the fifth pic is from the innards of an old mortised lock.
I have restored many of them.

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super button! Congrats!
Mike

L

lovedigging

Great button! Think I'd of just packed up and went home after I found that :thumbsup:

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted many times over and you were just about to call it "hunted out" :D

Very nice button Old River :icon_sunny: :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks to all you guys for your comments. I was a thrill to find that button. I almost did quit, and go home to show it off when I found it, But I just couldn't go. HCW I was woundering what that piece was. Thanks for the info. Nana that's why I couldn't leave the site right then. I was really looking for another to show up. I was just about to think the site was hunted out. I don't find as much, but I still make some good finds there. Thrillahunt I would love to have you come down, and go with me, but the old Lady that own the property want let anyone else on it. It's tough have to hunt that much property by yourself. Thanks for viewing, and the comments.

OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Made another hunt today. No button, just an indian

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful button there Old River :thumbsup:

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
No sweeter find than one from a spot you've pounded to death. :thumbsup:

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every time I see a Confederate button on here I kick myself in the backside and here's why....

I amy have told this story before, but in 1984 I was a young Marine stationed at NAS Millington, TN attending school for my MOS. I was relatively new to detecting as I started in the summer of 1982. When I went to Millington, I took my trusty White's 1/DB with me (remember those?) and detected in fields and woods around the area and across the river in Arkansas. On more than one trip, I dug buttons but was ignorant of what they were, and also my focus at the time was on COINS so I didn't bother taking the time to learn about buttons. I threw several of them away in the trash can when I got back to my barracks. I don't remember what they all were but some were DEFINITELY Confederate Block I's and Block C's among them and I also remember script I's, as well as union eagle buttons. Lord only knows what else I tossed! Good thing I didn't find any belt or box plates!

If I only knew then what I know now..............

Nice finds and congrats!

HH,

SgtSki

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SgtSki in MI said:
Every time I see a Confederate button on here I kick myself in the backside and here's why....

I amy have told this story before, but in 1984 I was a young Marine stationed at NAS Millington, TN attending school for my MOS. I was relatively new to detecting as I started in the summer of 1982. When I went to Millington, I took my trusty White's 1/DB with me (remember those?) and detected in fields and woods around the area and across the river in Arkansas. On more than one trip, I dug buttons but was --deleted-- of what they were, and also my focus at the time was on COINS so I didn't bother taking the time to learn about buttons. I threw several of them away in the trash can when I got back to my barracks. I don't remember what they all were but some were DEFINITELY Confederate Block I's and Block C's among them and I also remember script I's, as well as union eagle buttons. Lord only knows what else I tossed! Good thing I didn't find any belt or box plates!

If I only knew then what I know now..............

Nice finds and congrats!

HH,

SgtSki

I've read many stories like that and it never makes any more sense to me. Even if it was mainly coins you were after how could a button of any sort no be at least worth saving.... even in a junk bucket. When I started detecting I was fascinated with almost anything I found that appeared old, and even though I never imagined I could find relics here in the North like in the magazines, that didn't stop me from rushing in the house to search my first military button. I hadn't a clue what it was, and was pretty stupid to think WW1 considering it was found with Colonial era finds, but that's what I thought! So I get on the computer and within 5 minutes realize I just found a Loyalist Rev War officer button literally in my back yard... just the type of thing you would see in a magazine. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread