• mark 038.JPG
    mark 038.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 1,523
Upvote 0

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
I completely agree with Montauk. Looks very much like a family crest. Please check The Digby Family Crest on the Internet. There an ostrich stands on the same foundation as yours. If it belonged to some noble old family, your find might be unique.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montauk said:
That may be a family crest. Also I think that may be an ostrich. I keyword "ostrich heraldry" & this comes up in Google images. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Ostriches_in_heraldry

The French family/place names Sougy & Bedejun are captioned beneath the arms most closely resembling your ring. Maybe.

agreed, it an Ostrich buts its an 'Generic Livery' type as opposed to a family crest/coat of arms/heraldry. Popular in the 1830s-1880s. Your very unlikely to link this to a family with out much more details.

Up & coming middle class used rings like this to gain some form of notability, a form of fake ancestry to impress others. Also if this design were on a button, it would be on a servants to show the connection to the wealthy family they work to.
They were sold as blank shields at the market/or jewelry shop with the options of either Family Initials or various symbols including animals/birds like yours. You choose what suited you, or what you liked. Plus if you did have some distant links with a family crest, you would choose the closest match.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tuatara said:
I completely agree with Montauk. Looks very much like a family crest. Please check The Digby Family Crest on the Internet. There an ostrich stands on the same foundation as yours. If it belonged to some noble old family, your find might be unique.

Noble or very rich family's in the 19th century tend not to choose Brass when buying rings.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one! It doesn't look like copper. Possibly brass or possibly even gold. You might want to acid test it. :thumbsup:

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
On the other hand, perhaps said family was no longer rich for
some reason but maintained some sort of pride. Well, it's a
"romantic" notion anyway :D

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
Noble or very rich family's in the 19th century tend not to choose Brass when buying rings.

A very grossly impoverished noble family ;D. Just kidding. Crusader is right. It is an old 'kitsch'. Yet a nice curio and a part of social history. I would have been happy with this ring - I am not a snob :icon_sunny:.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tuatara said:

A very grossly impoverished noble family ;D. Just kidding. Crusader is right. It is an old 'kitsch'. Yet a nice curio and a part of social history. I would have been happy with this ring - I am not a snob :icon_sunny:.

I too would be happy with it. Found many Livery buttons, quite a few with birds (but no Ostrich), never had a 'Livery style' Ring before. Very cool find :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread