Socal Beach Silver

Dknight34

Greenie
Jan 4, 2008
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro LST & SS
this is my first post, but I read a lot of the posts here and have learned alot. Thanks!
The week or so after christmas, I took my dad to a beach near San Diego to try out the compadre I bought him. I was using my Sand shark PI. Right off the bat I dug a mercury dime. By the end of the hunt, I had 2 pre-1964 silver quarters, 3 mercury dimes, a couple of rosies and about 15 wheat cents. Since then, I have gone back to the same stretch of beach 2 other times with the last being this morning and have now found several more silvers plus a lot of recent clad.

Today, I found a 1916 or 18 walking liberty half, another mercury dime, and a flying eagle? quarter 1916 (maybe?). and several more wheat cents and silver quarters and dimes. I also found a buffalo nickle and a lebrty nickle dated 1893. I do not have a camera to take pics, but it sure has been fun. I have total, 7 silver quarters (pre-64), flying eaagle quarter, WL half, Liberty nickle, 4 merc dimes, 3 silver rosie dimes, 1 buffalo, and 38 wheat cents. (not even countibg the clad coins and regular pennies).

all of the old stuff has been found within about a 40-50 ft stretch of beach and 4-8 inches down on top of, or just within a clay barrier near the high surf line. I have actually dug very little trash with the exception of 1- bottle cap, several lead sinkers, several silver plate silver ware, a couple of junk rings and just a few iron pieces. -Dknight34

Upvote 0

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Pics or it didn't happen! j/k (Seriously though, pics!). Looking forward to seeing your finds, man!

OP
OP
D

Dknight34

Greenie
Jan 4, 2008
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro LST & SS
Thanks. I'll have to get a camera someday. All of the coins are pretty worn, but quite a thrill to find. Especially on a san diego beach. Although I have not seen any other detectorists at this beach. I took a freind of mine with me one trip. He has an mxt. I blew him away with both clad and silver!

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
flying eagle quarter???? those are pennies 1856-1858. you must be tailking about a standing liberty. congrats. willy

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Sounds like you found the pirates booty stretch of the beach. Very good hunting.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:

Digger1980

Oct 22, 2009
Easton PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix 6, MXT-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what I call a great hunt!! :headbang:

flying eagle quarter?? :read2:

OP
OP
D

Dknight34

Greenie
Jan 4, 2008
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro LST & SS
DFX Willy, your right, it is a standing liberty quarter. All I could really see was the flying eagle on the back so flying sounded good!

Dknight34

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread