Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATED: Hunted with "Swamp Thing" and got my first good silver of 2010

I have been extremely busy doing field tests of Sunray coils so my personal hunt time has been limited. ???

UPDATE: I wanted to let some of you know who were interested...that I was just informed the field test reports will now be in the May and June issues...which will be available in March and April. This is TWO MONTHS LATER than I was originally told.
The first issue will contain the X-5 field test and the second issue will contain the X-12 field test.

I also want to apologize to many hunters here who's posts I have just truthfully not had the time to keep up with....view...and respond to. :angel7:

Because of the extensive and in depth field testing I did though...I learned some amazing things about the Sunray coils and what they are capable of :headbang:....so I hope you'll all enjoy the reports in the upcoming issues of Western & Eastern Treasures magazine. :icon_thumleft:

FINALLY though...I had a little personal time to hunt before the ground froze on me again so I took advantage of the 45 degree temps over the weekend and hit a pounded park a friend and I hit a few times last year.

I took hunting buddy "Swamp Thing" (Darrell aka "Heavy D") with me and he brought all 3 machines EX2...SE...and the E-Trac.

He usually ends up using one of my coils on his EX2 because he prefers that machine so I have probably put 40 hours on his E-Trac in the last few months.

While I like the E-trac and feel it's a great machine...I still prefer my explorer at pounded parks. That's just my personal preference. :icon_thumleft:

Anyway...I am 100% an Explorer user. Always have been...and always WILL be. That "AIN'T" gonna change. :hello2:

I do feel though that I can use his E-Trac as another weapon to find walked over coins at some of these pummeled sites...much like I use different coils for different situations. :occasion14:

He's on the road a lot so I have access to his E-trac anytime I want. :wink:

Well anyway we hunted around the pond area of this park and I decided to put a couple of hours on his E-trac.
I did okay with it but couldn't get the depth I needed running semi auto +3 sensitivity. After I went to manual 24 on his E-Trac...I hit a couple of 9" wheaties.

"Heavy D" then decided he would put some hours on his E-Trac so I got out the EX2 I bought off of my friend and popped on the X-12 coil.

I'm surprised after my buddy owned it that there wasn't some kind of jinx on it ;D ...but after an hour or so I had a wheatie and a roosey from the deep mud. :hello2:

I then went back to my main machine...the SE. It was already set up with the 10 x 12 SEF coil...so that's how I left it.

I spent my time wading through 10 to 15 second long dead nulls with the SE...but that's where I'm comfortable. :icon_thumleft: At any site I'm familiar with I go to the worst area of trash or deep iron. :wink: If I'm not familiar with the park...I will go right where a fellow hunter has told me not to go because of adverse conditions. 8)

An hour or so later I got a screamer through the nulls which startled me. :laughing9: I was beginning to null myself to sleep but this signal woke me up. ;D It was just a one angle hit ...but it did repeat on the return sweep. :icon_thumleft: Even though it only hit in that one spot...the sweet "warble" tone was there so I kneeled down in the muck.

Before long I had popped out the 1892-O Barber Quarter and there was a 4" piece of rusty iron nearly on top of it. :blob1: Dang...missed the seated by one year :wink: ...but at least this is the higher $$ O mintmark. :D

It was nice to be able to hunt in THAWED ground towards the end of January. I don't remember that ever happening in all my years of hunting.

Heavy D ended up with 2 old wheaties on the day... and I ended up with 3 wheaties...a roosey...and the Barber Quarter. We did well considering how heavily this park has been explorerd and E-tracked over the last 8 years....so much so that I can't even get my buddy to drive here and hunt with me anymore.

I hope you all got some hunting in during the warm spell. It's back to 20 degree temps here now...so I'm sure the ground will be frozen up for the next few months. I don't care though cause' who'd a "thunk" ;D I would get to hunt in mid 40 temps and thawed ground in late January :angel7:

Attachments

• coins130.jpg
    coins130.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,185
  • coins130b.jpg
    coins130b.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,178
  • coins131.jpg
    coins131.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,163
  • coins132.jpg
    coins132.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,192
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Hunted with "Swamp Thing" and got my first good silver of 2010

Bryce,
I was wondering where you've been. Looking forward to reading your article soon. Congrats.
Nice job on the silver too big guy. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75

Nice report Bryce and a beautiful find and glad you were able to get out. Wish I could say the same but it's going from slush, rain, frozen ground and mud to freezing here again.
Mike

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Great coin. I am looking forward to your report on the Sunray coils in W and E mag.
Dman

S

seger98

Nice find, barber quarters aren't easy to come by! :thumbsup:

Chris

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chris&Kathy said:
Nice find, barber quarters aren't easy to come by! :thumbsup:

Chris
Thanks Chris

Dman said:
Great coin. I am looking forward to your report on the Sunray coils in W and E mag.
Dman
Thanks D

mikewaz said:
Nice report Bryce and a beautiful find and glad you were able to get out. Wish I could say the same but it's going from slush, rain, frozen ground and mud to freezing here again.
Mike
Thanks Mike. Same here as of today my friend. Sleet...40 mph winds...and REfrozen ground ;D

ModernMiner said:
Bryce,
I was wondering where you've been. Looking forward to reading your article soon. Congrats.
Nice job on the silver too big guy. :thumbsup:
-Doug-
Thanks MM. I hope it turns out good.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nice barber bryce.

Looks like it is going to be another great yr. It would be alot of fun trying out various coils and units. Then typing up what you thought about them. They picked a good dude to try out there products.

Take care

Jeremy

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice going on the Barber love them. I really enjoyed reading about the hunt. :icon_thumright:
Looking forward to the article.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Nice quarter to get things going for the year. :icon_sunny:

Is someone paying you to say "amazing" things about those coils..... :wink: So far my experience with two "amazing" coils has been much less than amazing but I still want to read the article and have an open mind....

Bob

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great to see you out detecting again, Bryce. Had me worried about "Swamp Thing", thought you were hunting with this guy. :laughing9:

bigfoot.jpg

He means no harm, it's only the bayou monster, Juanmoretime.

That's one sweet Barber. Congrats!

:wink: RR

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh I too will be interested in your article too.. beautiful coin Bryce

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mirage said:
Nice quarter to get things going for the year. :icon_sunny:

Is someone paying you to say "amazing" things about those coils..... :wink: So far my experience with two "amazing" coils has been much less than amazing but I still want to read the article and have an open mind....

Bob
Thanks Bob...I don't get paid anything...but it wouldn't matter if I did...as I would still give an honest opinion of the coil's performance for me.

As a matter of fact I purchased the sunray X-5 coil USED from a forum member...then posted my finds.

I understand that some coils work better for some than others. The only thing I can do is give an honest assessment and let people know how it performed for me.

I wouldn't have the reputation that I have if I told people a coil was a good one...if in fact it wasn't.
No way I would tell my friends or hunting buddies to go shell out their hard earned $$ on a coil if I wasn't gonna' use it myself.

My hunt time is very valuable to me so it wouldn't make a whole lotta' sense for me to waste my time with a coil on the end of my detector that wasn't working for me. If I say a coil is a good one...then you'll see it on the end of my machine.
Take care Bob. I hope you have a great 2010

pepperj said:
Nice going on the Barber love them. I really enjoyed reading about the hunt. :icon_thumright:
Looking forward to the article.
Thanks pepper

JerDfx said:
Nice barber bryce.

Looks like it is going to be another great yr. It would be alot of fun trying out various coils and units. Then typing up what you thought about them. They picked a good dude to try out there products.

Take care

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy. I appreciate your kind words. It's a lot of work...but it is also a lot of fun.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bootybay said:
Oh I too will be interested in your article too.. beautiful coin Bryce
Thanks Bootybaty. I appreciate the response.

River Rat said:
Great to see you out detecting again, Bryce. Had me worried about "Swamp Thing", thought you were hunting with this guy. :laughing9:

He means no harm, it's only the bayou monster, Juanmoretime.

That's one sweet Barber. Congrats!

:wink: RR
;D Thanks RR. Actually he does resemble that pic....very much so :laughing7:

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro

Sweet Barber!

I'm happy for you, getting to hunt thawed ground in January, sorta.

Yesterday I noticed that we actually had bare spots on wooded south facing hills! I was getting excited, thinking that I would actually get out and swing a coil in Northern Michigan in January! But, had a meeting after work, and where I checked the ground it was only thawed down about an inch or two. Just another day or two and......Alas, before it could really thaw the ground the cold came back, along with new snow overnight! Spring is just that much closer though!

Really looking forward to your field tests in E&W! Cannot think of anyone better qualified to do field tests! The results just have a whole lot more credibility to me if I know the guy running the test is someone of your proven ability!

Best of luck sir!

Mark

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field

Nice digging Bryce! :thumbsup: I just got an eTrac myself and your notes on auto sens and depth are helpful. First coin I dug with this machine was a deep '09 wheatie. :headbang:

TimTrac

Jul 30, 2009
Spanaway Wa
Detector(s) used
Etrac and VX3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Always nice to read your posts Bryce.... Very nice quarter you popped out there.... And I appreciate the work you do reviewing coils.... I love the 6x8 SEF by the way.... It was your review that made my determination on which one to get.... Thanks....

Oh, maybe if you gave "Swamp Thing" some scoobie snacks he'd find some silver too....

Take care....

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heres wishing you and Swamp Thing many more happy hunts ! :icon_sunny:

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice job

dave in iowa

Jan 29, 2008
iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Track, Minelab S.E. , and a Whites Prizm 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Bryce ,as always you are the master , if you dont mind i will be picking your brain on the e-track, ill be getting one in the spring, good luck hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread