C.W camp gives up more lead

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After work the other day ,I had the chance to hit my good spot with my XLT . The ground was thawed finally and I hit it for about 2 hours .. .My count for 2010 for .58 cal three ringers is 23 couple of cleaners and one washington aresenal with the star in the inside , I even found one that got hit from another bullet from behind I thought that it was unique, first one ive ever found like that .

Attachments

• cw lead 1-27-2010.jpg
    cw lead 1-27-2010.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 352
  • mid air hit cw lead 1-27-2010.jpg
    mid air hit cw lead 1-27-2010.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 339
Upvote 0

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Digs! I founs several .69 cal. 3 ringers like that bullet that were apparently in a firing range. Someone told me they are called "sombrero" bullets and were formed that way from loading the gun with more powder than normal and firing from a long distance. Maybe someone else has a better explanation. WTG and HH.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Wow you are doing ok. Looks like you've learned that machine pretty quick.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest that the odd bullet got that way from a .58 cal bullet being fired in a .69 cal bore. The base simply expanded to fill the bore as it is supposed to. One way to check is to determine if it was fired.

Fired would be indicated by a mark on the nose where a ramrod seated it. And on the skirt there will be a flat surface around the bullet where it rubbed on the bore when it fired. No grooves to be seen if it was fired in a .69 cal. musket bore.

If indeed it looks to be fired then measure the diameter of the expanded skirt and see if it is in the close to .69 cal diameter.

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Shadow X5, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab XTerra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet lead! Looks like you are in a great spot if you are pulling out that many at a time.

OP
OP
Ifoundit69

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious george , I tested your theory about it possibly being fired from a .69 cal and the .58 cals flare is actually 1/8 of a inch wider and has been fired but the front is distorted by the impact from the second bullet hitting it .So far from the site I have pulled 175 three ringers about 500 ft from the actually C.W camp site , ussually after I hit the area I wait about 3 or 4 months and come back and pull another 20 or so out of the ground from errosion and this time of year the freeze and thaw push's them upward . I like the sombraro theory as well and it is a good possibility as well , but thanks for the theory .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions