Colonial coins ,large cents found at a wooded Mill site....

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? ? ? Not often do you go into a wooded area in searching for a? cellar hole and find out there is no cellar hole at all, but instead find the remains of an old mill along the creek .? With looking at the marking on the map it lists the house being there with no name.. So in search of this site yesterday I noticed a r ock formation at the edge of the creek ,starting to detect I came up with the large cent with the hole in it within the first 5 minutes . it was stuck to a small rock about 5 inches down the dates? on the others are 1848 and? 1820 something...A few of the other pieces believe it or not were only down 1 to 2 inches in an area where the digging is tough with the amount of stones in the ground....The? buttons are nice to find with the flower patterns on them.? The? one coin with the bust looking left and the Harp on the reverse is one I'm not sure of. Its not in the red book also not in the us token book.... any suggestions? would be helpfull and appriciated.....this is the other half of the Guinea story.......thanks? Seeker? :) :) :)

Attachments

• Wooded area  1-20-06 003 Medium Web view.jpg
    Wooded area 1-20-06 003 Medium Web view.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 870
  • Wooded area  1-20-06 006 Medium Web view.jpg
    Wooded area 1-20-06 006 Medium Web view.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 866
  • Wooded area  1-20-06 008 Medium Web view.jpg
    Wooded area 1-20-06 008 Medium Web view.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 866
  • Wooded area  1-20-06 012 Medium Web view.jpg
    Wooded area 1-20-06 012 Medium Web view.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 850
  • Wooded area  1-20-06 007 Medium Web view.jpg
    Wooded area 1-20-06 007 Medium Web view.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 858
Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Along with these finds I found a number of iron pieces , but no ax heads ..Hav'nt found one of those in a while...Will post the iron in the next post .....Thanks

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to thank everyone for helping I.D. the coin...With having it narrowed down I still can't find a pic of the coin....Seeker

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Seeker ;D

The coin you have found is an Ireland Penny.... Hope the pictures match your.

God Bless
Peter

Attachments

• ierish penny.jpg
    ierish penny.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 376

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, the picture I sent you may be different as different ages of the coin had different designs.... But still a penny ::)

God bless
Peter

rb24

Greenie
Jan 2, 2006
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Very nice finds. I sometimes envy you guys on the East coast with the older American heritage and thus older coins. Settlers here came in the late 18th to early 19 century. But you know, I've been laying low reading my history books and have been amazed at how things have changed in the last 100 years, which is about how far back some pictures date in my book.
I can't help you with the coin I.D., but there's something magnetic about big rocks. People love them. Another interesting observation I have made is that the only trees recognizable from 100 years ago are......Palm Trees. Thanks for showing your finds. rb24

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Wow! Talk about luck of the Irish.Beautiful old coppers you found there.You stumbled on to a great site while looking for another ,that's what research can do for you. Best of luck to ya. HH!

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Looks like your research paid off in more ways than you thought. Great finds and congratulation's.

49er ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions