White's MXT/Shadow X-5...Bullseye pinpointer

Attachments

• IMG00011.jpg
    IMG00011.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 286
Upvote 0
G

Goot

NIce find you have there. Just wondering if anyone has a number 3?

Attachments

• Old Cow Tag.jpg
    Old Cow Tag.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 207

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find foxrox...at least you started numerically.HH!!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are nice finds! My cows wear earrings, plastic but not cheap. That's a day's work piercing ears. Hopefully you'll find the bull's nose ring on your next outing.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug one of those last Saturday, I thought at first I had a US belt buckle! Here is mine. Tsgman

Attachments

• new_1-C3FF~1.jpg
    new_1-C3FF~1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 183

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I grew up on a dairy (milking 300 cows) so hopefully I know a few things about cows.

What you found is a cow tag. I have never heard them called 'cow necklaces'. (Trying not to laugh here!) If you only have 40 or 50 cows you can likely identify them by sight but once you get 100 or more cows you need tags.

Why is it important to know one cow from another? There are many reasons.

If a cow has been treated with antibiiotics (or other medications) her milk cannot be sold. If her milk gets mixed in with the milk of the rest of the herd it all goes down the drain. (Been there, done that.)

Cows are tested regularly on how much milk they produce and the quality of the milk (butter fat content). Cows that are not producing get culled.

Cows are bred when they are in heat. You can cross-check to see if it is time for a cow to be bred when she is in heat. Generally a cow is bred once a year. Assuming she is bred 3 months after calving she will have calves at yearly intervals. She startes producing milk when her calf is born. After a few days her milk can be sold. She will continue to produce milk as long as her milk is taken regularly (say twice a day) so milking a cow fools its body into thinking it is producing milk for the calf. After 9 or 10 months the cow is no longer milked and is allowed to go "dry". So she gets a couple of months of rest before getting back to work.

I don't recall brass tags like that; we used plastic tags. Later on (early to mid '70s) we started using ear tags. Ear tags are better for a number of reasons:
  • Won't fall off
    Won't choke the cow
    Easier to read (get the cow to look at you and you can see her number)

That's your lesson for today. Class dismissed.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great tag, WTG!!!
That would be a good tag to clip on your detecting belt for luck, No.1... ;D
I like finding things like that almost as much as finding silver...
Great info also, Klaatu
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread