Is the lock (silver)and is the bracelet (rhodium)?

slayer7

Nov 17, 2009
Greenwood, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Hello,this is rain. I found a lock and what looks like a ankle bracelet or a tennis bracelet maybe. The tennis bracelet sais on the inside," Rhodium electroplate". Also on the tennis bracelet it has a name monogrammed into it. The name is Missy. I thought it might be made out of rhodium. Also the lock, is it silver? It came out of the ground looking like that. Please share all information.

HAPPY HUNTING,
RAIN

Attachments

• IMG_1833.jpg
    IMG_1833.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_1834.jpg
    IMG_1834.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_1835.jpg
    IMG_1835.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 588
Upvote 0
Re: Is it Silver and Is it Rhodium

All I got to say is when something looks good and I read Speidel, I know it is definitely not real.
It looks cool though, nice find!
H.H.
Dave.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, rhodium was electroplated on fashion jewelry and watchbands in the 60's and 70's to make it highly reflective and shiny. :thumbsup:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
slayer7 said:
But what about the lock? Is it silver?
Slayer, your going to have to open the locket an look on the inside for any marks like ster ,sterling, 925, stg or any other marking you can find... marking are going to be very tiny so you may not be able to see or read without a magnifying glass

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
slayer7 said:
I dont see any markings on the inside but on the inside it has a little mirror. You can see your reflection.
if there are no marks then no it's not silver..it has to have some type of marking indicating that it is sterling silver.. did you check with a magnifying glass or you just look with your plain eyes? if you looked with plain eye the marking is going to be so small you won't see it..heck I'm very well experinced in looking for the marks an I sometime can't find the mark for a good while...keep checking it a couple times..maybe you'll find the mark..it's probly going to be either on the loop where the chain goes in or on the inside rim of the locket

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Hi there Rain, nice work on the shiny stuff! As far as the locket goes to me it does look like silver, and depending on age not all pieces are marked, so if it is old enough it may be silver with no mark, also I think the marking standard was not true in all countries so if it was made overseas that may explain the lack thereof, like has been stated the only sure way to know is have it tested. Now as far as the Rhodium bracelet my thoughts are these, first off check eBay to see if you can find similar ones and see what the prices are, people collect the oddest things and there may be some kind of Spiedel club or some such that goes GA GA over this stuff, or maybe try this, see if you can find the original owner, given the time period mentioned for this piece that is very doable, if you are in a smaller town or city, and it could be fun to at least try, you could really make someones day and bring back lots of memories, you may get a reward(although don't count on it) or at least maybe anew spot to hunt if the owner is grateful enough, those are my thoughts, again congratulations and HH!

Chuck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread