nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all, I went to a local park yesterday that I had hunted before. The first time that I hunted it, I came back with nothing, but this time was a different story. The place that I went was written about in Lost Treasure magazine in 1996. The location is seven old picnic grilles that are now in the edge of the woods at a local city park. The grilles were used heavily from the 20's to 50's I think, maybe even earlier. The last time I went there I hunted in the obvious places, which is probably why I came back empty handed, because since 1996 I would say that they have been hunted to death. Yesterday, however, I chose to search the areas around the grilles, not right in front of them like before. Got started around noon and after about 30 minutes I got my first keeper of the day, a 1925 Buffalo Nickel with a barely visible date, a couple hours later, after tons of pulltabs, foil and bottle caps, I dug my FIRST Mercury dime, a badly worn 1917, but I was still very happy as this is not only my first merc, but also my oldest coin find to date, wooohooo. Also managed to dig these 5 wheats - 1942, 1944, 1946, 1948, 1956. I was very happy with my finds for the day even though I had to quit after about 3.5 hours because it started pouring the rain. I am probably gonna go back next weekend to try and find more goodies, I'm sure that they are there. Thanks for looking...

HH

Attachments

• 1_22_06_keepers0 (Large).jpg
    1_22_06_keepers0 (Large).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 349
Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the trash and a big oval metal whatzit, anybody know what is is?

Attachments

• Jan_22_06_parkfinds 001 (Medium).jpg
    Jan_22_06_parkfinds 001 (Medium).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 352
  • Jan_22_06_parkfinds 003 (Small).jpg
    Jan_22_06_parkfinds 003 (Small).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 341

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
There's a degree of satisfaction to figuring out where to make those finds in a hunted out park isn't there? Good job and good investigation.

treasures4me2find

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2005
Murphy, N.C.
Yes looks like to had a good day at the park. Congrats on all your finds, and good job in picking up the trash for proper disposal. Very nice looking finds, mercury and wheaties, always makes for a great day MDing. WTG

Ken

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
That's a pretty good bunch of old finds. Congratulations, I love hearing stories about finding goodies at hunted out places. It really makes you believe that you can still have success with some determination and skill.

OP
OP
N

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all of the nice replies, I would rather come back with a few old coins than a pocket full of clad....as for the trash, I just can't bring myself to pass up those pulltab signals, never know when one will suprise ya......and plus the next time I go back, there will be less tabs, bottlecaps, and foil masking all of the goodies underneath....

I will more than likely return to old grilles next weekend to try and uncover some more treasures....can't wait

The man who wrote the article in Lost Treasure about this site found some late 1800's barber coins, a peace dollar, a 3 cent piece, an '09 vdb wheatie, and some indian heads....I keep wishing that they left some real old ones for me, guess that I'll soon find out, weather permitting

I can't wait until the days get longer so I'll have a little time to hunt after work.......thanks again!!

HH

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great research nd!!! Awesome finds!!

;)

P

Plugger

glad to see a hunted area still producing, i agree with you i dig alot of the pulltags to clean up an area i wish to detect many times and eliminate those junk signals. As you said tho curiousity kills me and i always hope one the signals yields something other then a tab. Good Research pays off

Plugger

OP
OP
N

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm definitely glad that it is still producing. After my first trip there about a month ago, I was pretty discouraged when I came home with no keepers (coins or relics). I just kept thinking that there is no way that it could possibly be cleaned out because the total area is probably a good 2-3 acres and the grilles are spread far apart, so I knew that there had to be goods inbetween the major gathering areas too. There is also a creek that separates the valley, and the grilles are on both slopes of the valley, on flat areas of course. I like seeing pics of the trash and pulltabs that people dig....it gives a better glimpse into how the day's hunt went. That wasn't all of the trash I dug either...I threw lots of aluminum foil and larger pieces away at the site.

HH

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with gypsy,no place is ever hunted out...HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread