1944-d steel update added

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50
was talking to a freind of mine who was going through some of his old pennies he recently inherited(he got them in a jar of old misc. coins) along with a coin collection.and he thinks he found a 1944-d steel us penny he is having it authenticated . it wasnt an md find but i thought it was pretty cool being that if its real he got a lot of money coming if he sells it i think they are worth over 50k .Hope its real. well he got some bad news turns out it was an altered 43 :-[

Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1944-d steel

It is very unlikely but possible.

Hope it turns out to be the real deal for your friend.

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think the 44' steel is worth more than the 43' copper. A few steel planchets were apparently left over or stuck in the hoppers at the mint when the 44's were minted resulting in a few of these errors. There are some fakes out there however for both of these variety's. Keep us posted...Rich.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

richm said:
I think the 44' steel is worth more than the 43' copper. A few steel planchets were apparently left over or stuck in the hoppers at the mint when the 44's were minted resulting in a few of these errors. There are some fakes out there however for both of these variety's. Keep us posted...Rich.
I was just ready to post the 43 copper is around 50k..I don't remember ever seeing price for a 44 steel... probly way more then the 43 copper...

Did a quick search... these price start with a Very Fine 20 an go to a MS-60 ( the slashes mean no price given Ag-3 G-4 fine an AU-50)
1944 Steel -- -- -- 6,250 10,000 -- 21,000 24,000 -- 109,250

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I never knew about the 44 steel. interesting.

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe

Yeah, that would be a cool find!

I use to buy and sell error coins pretty heavily "back in the day". Back in the 1990's a dealer friend of mine had a 1944-D Steel cent ~ it was slabbed by ANACS ~ but it was damaged! Someone (some idiot) had made little cut marks around the edge, probably to test the coin to see if it was plated. Nope, it was real.

Even being damaged he paid like $4000, and sold it for like $7000.

This is my understanding . . . . . . a lot of the left over steel cent planchets were used to make the Belguim 2 cent coin of 1944 at the Philly mint. The Denver mint wasn't producing any of these coins for Belgium, so that 'D' mint mark on that coin makes it much more scarce.

I hope it's real!

Neil

PS,

The coolest error coin I handled was a 1964 Kennedy half dollar struck on a CLAD quarter planchet! So, not only was it a wrong planchet error ~ it was a wrong type of metal error for the date (clad, not silver)! I was only the middle guy on the deal ~ but the buyer of the coin gave me a very nice sized "finders fee"!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions