Hitting the mine for teeth

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Silver Sabre
Hit Richlands yesterday, that place is rocking with fossil hunters, footprints everywhere! I did get to meet up with Ernie and Linda W. and hunting with them was lots of fun! They are some fast movers and hard to keep up with that’s for sure.

DSC00845.JPG Finally a 10 million year old sharks tooth!

The News of the day was the Foreman reporting that surfer Johnny found a nice 4 inch ricky or Meg the day before and he was so elated that he packed up early and headed home.

DSC00847.JPG Everyday they are moving earth!

Surfer Johnny is a hard man to beat cuz he’s in the pit before the rain stops each and every time so my hats off to him and his dedication!
DSC00840.JPG A little Noid

I got a few easy Noids that were in a fresh pile of matrix that everyone bypassed on their way to the new pit in back. The large teeth have been picked up over the last few weeks and the only few I got were in the deep mud where few others fear to tread. Maybe after this weekends rain I can find me that big rick I need for the upcoming club meet in 2 weeks.

Bob
http://www.okinawarelics.com

Upvote 0
S

seger98

That's a pretty neat find, how far away from water is that dig?

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!!!! :headbang:

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Very nice looking tooth. You might want to carry a pinpointer or some small thing that picks up metal. I see a couple of little round things there in the mud that looks like they might be coins.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:

OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chris&Kathy said:
That's a pretty neat find, how far away from water is that dig?
Hi,
It's about maybe 20-25 miles as the crow flys from the coast. The mines of Eastern Carolina all have fossils of different eras depending on the Topography and how deep they are digging. In General different layers form 40 millions to 10 million years ago can be searched for aquatic life. Also, the a lucky hunter sometimes comes across land mammals like the mastondon in the pits when the place was a swamp. One guy pulled a complete tooth out of this mine this summer (Football sized) maybe worth a cool grand at a swap meet.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
we used to go shark toothing in florida near venice, that was a really fun time with my dad and family.

OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
wwwtimmcp said:
we used to go shark toothing in florida near venice, that was a really fun time with my dad and family.

Yessir,
That's a popular pastime here too, walking along the beaches for fossils. Some of the best stuff is offshore and accessable by scuba diving. I hope to do a little of that this summer!
Bob

Attachments

• 6 inch MEG 2.JPG
    6 inch MEG 2.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 744
  • 6 inch MEG 2.JPG
    6 inch MEG 2.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 731
OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Burnt Chimney said:
That's some Great Fossils you re finding down there :thumbsup:
BC
I'd rather be MD'ing around that homesite in your Avatar upstate! Do you do any gold panning?

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very exciting thread and some great recoveries !! 10 million years old :o Nice !! Quick story :A friend of mine just pulled a Woolly Mammoth tooth out of a clam boat net. 50 miles off the Jersey coast .A mammoth tusk was also in the net but it ripped the net and fell overboard Over 10 foot about 150 lbs.(The molar is cool ,looks like an extended accordian ,bizarre looking,I had a chance to paw over it for 10 minutes . Great finds ,many more to you. CMD :thumbsup:

OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
allen said:
how much do you have to pay to do that ? :help:
Getting in the Mines are free! The mines need good public relations, there are certain days to go in during the week for each one.

OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CMDiamonddawg said:
Very exciting thread and some great recoveries !! 10 million years old :o Nice !! Quick story :A friend of mine just pulled a Woolly Mammoth tooth out of a clam boat net. 50 miles off the Jersey coast .A mammoth tusk was also in the net but it ripped the net and fell overboard Over 10 foot about 150 lbs.(The molar is cool ,looks like an extended accordian ,bizarre looking,I had a chance to paw over it for 10 minutes . Great finds ,many more to you. CMD :thumbsup:
That's a neat story! That tusk is worth some $ I have no idea but I did read on how they are being sought every year in Siberia by hunters. Any pics on the tooth? I rehit Richlands yesterday and did find a large tooth but the freezing didn't do it any favors as the mechanical action split it to pieces.
Bob
DSC00848.JPG
DSC00849.JPG

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey wilkere ,Sorry about that tooth .Alot of human bones feel that way ,in this cold. :o Very cool "no pun intended" pictures!! Unreal ,look what happens 10 million years later! I'll try to pm a tooth picture to you, if bonehead didn't sell it . He is a piece of work. ::) out there, :tongue3: Tough work, to be a clammer . Story was , the tusk is worth in the tens of thousands . :dontknow: The old ,ice age , Jersey shore is 50 miles east ,in the Atlantic. I am not sure, my guess is that most of the large creature finds are out there. Hope you save some more of those fantastic fossils. Thanks for your thread :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread