Hunting the old school yard

chemist100

Jan 21, 2007
Flowery Branch, North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Hi Everyone, I have been hunting this old school yard for a few years now. This place is HUGE, I've done alot of research of the area and its old. Over the past 4 or 5 years I have only pulled 1 1917 merc, 1942 jefferson, 1937,1956 wheats, and around 100 bucks in clad and all the associated trash. I have been all over this place, but there is no way I have covered it all, its just too big. I have pounded this place time and time again, but I'm starting to get frustrated with this place. Everytime I go there, I leave with at least one clad coin, but I just have this feeling that there is more there. The Merc I pulled a few years ago COULD NOT have been the last silver at the site!!! or could it??? I have taken a few hunting buddies there a couple of times and I'm sure others have been there in the past. I went yesterday for a little while, 35 degrees, a stiff breeze and overcast. I use a Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, I put the discrimination down low and I went SUPER SLOW, listening for every tick crack and pop it made. All I had at the end of the hunt was a 1961 penny and 2 .22 casings. I would have stayed longer, but the weather was killing me!!! So, what do you guys and gals think: Keep pounding it or move on to better places??? So, whats the deal with this place, it CANT be hunted out. If anyone is in the north Georgia area and wants a challenge, drop me a line. THanks Everyone, HH!!!!!

Upvote 0

itsmymind

Nov 25, 2009
SE Ks.
Detector(s) used
MXT
I think I would give that place a rest and try some place new. You can always go back to it. HH

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
I wouldn't give up....ever....especially since you know how old the area is. Make sure you try all ground conditions too, like....be there as soon as a heavy rain stops, etc. Also, this sounds like an ideal spot to have a buddy with another brand detector come along to see if there is a magic tool to make more targets light up....could be a good lesson for all involved!

Good Luck

Dave

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
I agree with itsmymind. I would research for some place new and leave that spot for times you just don't feeel like going far and only have a few hours to play around. Your buddies might of went there without you and hunted out most the spots your hitting.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, too bad we never met up while I was in Georgia. HEY! theres an old camp est. 1830's in Dawsonville. Right up behind the big outlet mall on 400, Check that out. I was gonna go, talked to a groundskeeper and the guy said It shouldn't be a problem for someone to come in and metal detect. Alot of area, IH's, Seated, Large Cents, Military buttons and so forth. Never got a chance to go, moved back to Connecticut.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread